From: Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe@d.umn.edu>
To: Matthew Warren <matthewwarren101010@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com>,
	Btrfs BTRFS <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: subvolumes as partitions and mount options
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:06:08 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Matthew,

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 3:32 PM Matthew Warren
<matthewwarren101010@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want something like this, you will want to have those
> subvolumes outside of the root subvolume. For instance, My BTRFS
> subvolumes look like this
> / root subvol - The subvolume which is created on mkfs
> /@arch - The subvolume I have mounted as /
> /@home - The subvolume I have mounted as /home
>
> If you do something like that, then you prevent access by having it
> hidden in the root subvolume.

Do you know if I can retrofit my current btrfs install to implement
the structure you've suggested?

To my knowledge I've got my root filesystem mounted on the "parent" subvolume:

root@ziti:~# btrfs subvolume list / -a
ID 256 gen 606645 top level 5 path <FS_TREE>/@rootfs
ID 257 gen 606389 top level 256 path @rootfs/subv_content

root@ziti:~# mount | grep btrfs
/dev/nvme0n1p2 on / type btrfs
(rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=256,subvol=/@rootfs)
/dev/nvme0n1p2 on /subv_mnt type btrfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=257,subvol=/@rootfs/subv_content)

The subv_content subvolume is just for testing and can be deleted.

Thanks for any pointers!

-m