* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-04-26 11:26 Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2018-04-26 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hey all,

This was already brought up by  Heinrich Schuchardt, but didn't get much
traction.  So, I'm bringing it up again now.  The little feedback from
that thread was we should move to Linux Kernel style tags.  I'm going to
propose that we do just that, for v2018.05.  I'll play with coccinelle
to get it done.  Comments?  Thanks!

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-04-26 20:14 ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2018-04-26 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tom,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 8:26 AM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> This was already brought up by  Heinrich Schuchardt, but didn't get much
> traction.  So, I'm bringing it up again now.  The little feedback from
> that thread was we should move to Linux Kernel style tags.  I'm going to
> propose that we do just that, for v2018.05.  I'll play with coccinelle
> to get it done.  Comments?  Thanks!

Sounds good :-) Thanks

* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07  0:35 ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-05-07  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 04/26/2018 01:26 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> This was already brought up by  Heinrich Schuchardt, but didn't get much
> traction.  So, I'm bringing it up again now.  The little feedback from
> that thread was we should move to Linux Kernel style tags.  I'm going to
> propose that we do just that, for v2018.05.  I'll play with coccinelle
> to get it done.  Comments?  Thanks!

We rejected C++ style comments for a long long time , both in U-Boot and
in Linux. Why do we accept them now ? I find them horrid and they only
bring inconsistency into the coding style.

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07  1:45   ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2018-05-07  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 02:35:16AM +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 04/26/2018 01:26 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > This was already brought up by  Heinrich Schuchardt, but didn't get much
> > traction.  So, I'm bringing it up again now.  The little feedback from
> > that thread was we should move to Linux Kernel style tags.  I'm going to
> > propose that we do just that, for v2018.05.  I'll play with coccinelle
> > to get it done.  Comments?  Thanks!
>
> We rejected C++ style comments for a long long time , both in U-Boot and
> in Linux. Why do we accept them now ? I find them horrid and they only
> bring inconsistency into the coding style.

The only place they'll now be allowed, just like with the Linux Kernel,
is for the first line SDPX tag in some file formats.  Bringing us in
line with how the kernel goes is overall a good thing I believe.

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07  1:57     ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2018-05-07  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 10:45 PM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:

> The only place they'll now be allowed, just like with the Linux Kernel,
> is for the first line SDPX tag in some file formats.  Bringing us in
> line with how the kernel goes is overall a good thing I believe.

Correct: it is less confusing to have U-Boot and kernel using the same
SPDX style.

* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07  4:56   ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2018-05-07  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> On 04/26/2018 01:26 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> This was already brought up by  Heinrich Schuchardt, but didn't get much
>> traction.  So, I'm bringing it up again now.  The little feedback from
>> that thread was we should move to Linux Kernel style tags.  I'm going to
>> propose that we do just that, for v2018.05.  I'll play with coccinelle
>> to get it done.  Comments?  Thanks!
>
> We rejected C++ style comments for a long long time , both in U-Boot and
> in Linux. Why do we accept them now ? I find them horrid and they only
> bring inconsistency into the coding style.

Linus changed his mind.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/25/133

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07 11:23     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2018-05-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 01:56:54PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > On 04/26/2018 01:26 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> This was already brought up by  Heinrich Schuchardt, but didn't get much
> >> traction.  So, I'm bringing it up again now.  The little feedback from
> >> that thread was we should move to Linux Kernel style tags.  I'm going to
> >> propose that we do just that, for v2018.05.  I'll play with coccinelle
> >> to get it done.  Comments?  Thanks!
> >
> > We rejected C++ style comments for a long long time , both in U-Boot and
> > in Linux. Why do we accept them now ? I find them horrid and they only
> > bring inconsistency into the coding style.
> >

> Linus changed his mind.
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/25/133

Thanks for the link!  He, unsurprisingly, makes some good points.  And
having converted all of our tags, we do indeed have a number of places
with unique comment style left.

We also had a small number of cases of incorrect tags which I think if
the tag stood out more might have been caught during review.

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07 11:53       ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-05-07 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 05/07/2018 03:57 AM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 10:45 PM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
>
>> The only place they'll now be allowed, just like with the Linux Kernel,
>> is for the first line SDPX tag in some file formats.  Bringing us in
>> line with how the kernel goes is overall a good thing I believe.
>
> Correct: it is less confusing to have U-Boot and kernel using the same
> SPDX style.

And also the same inconsistent coding style then ?

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07 14:48         ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2018-05-07 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 01:53:56PM +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 05/07/2018 03:57 AM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> > On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 10:45 PM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The only place they'll now be allowed, just like with the Linux Kernel,
> >> is for the first line SDPX tag in some file formats.  Bringing us in
> >> line with how the kernel goes is overall a good thing I believe.
> >
> > Correct: it is less confusing to have U-Boot and kernel using the same
> > SPDX style.
>
> And also the same inconsistent coding style then ?

A very small part of me wants to go and nuke all of the inconsistent
comment styles we have today scattered around into //-style comments
because _that_ enforces consistency.

"The first line is a //-style comment in C files now and the rest
aren't!" I don't think is a great argument.  And I don't think it's a
greater argument than "The SPDX tag is always the first line (rarely the
second)".

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07 16:47         ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2018-05-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Marek Vasut <marek.vasut@gmail.com> wrote:

> And also the same inconsistent coding style then ?

Not sure what inconsistent coding style you are talking about.

* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07 18:19           ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-05-07 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 05/07/2018 06:47 PM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Marek Vasut <marek.vasut@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And also the same inconsistent coding style then ?
>
> Not sure what inconsistent coding style you are talking about.

// SPDX foo
/*
 * bar
 */

Sort of stuff in the files.

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [U-Boot] [RFC] Migrate to Linux Kernel style SPDX Tags for v2018.05
@ 2018-05-07 18:26             ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2018-05-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 3:19 PM, Marek Vasut <marek.vasut@gmail.com> wrote:

> // SPDX foo
> /*
>  * bar
>  */
>
> Sort of stuff in the files.

Yes, it seems that the preferred style is to move everything to //
style in the initial comments:

// SPDX foo
//
// bar