From: Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com>
To: Arend van Spriel <arend.vanspriel@broadcom.com>
Cc: Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com>,
	Hante Meuleman <meuleman@broadcom.com>,
	linux-wireless <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>,
	brcm80211-dev-list <brcm80211-dev-list@broadcom.com>
Subject: Re: brcm4330 fails to load on newer kernels
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 22:05:25 -0300	[thread overview]

Hi Arend,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Arend van Spriel
<arend.vanspriel@broadcom.com> wrote:

> Hi Fabio,
>
> So this is another fine example of firmware API not able to deliver. I
> think in all these kernels you have the same issue. The problem is that
> the order of events upon kernel boot is not predictable. In this case
> you have rootfs being mounted and brcmfmac getting probed as the two
> competing events. When rootfs is mounted before brcmfmac is being probed
> it works, but if brcmfmac is probed before rootfs is mounted the
> firmware request will fail. So the only reliable option for built-in
> drivers requiring firmware is to built-in the firmware into the kernel
> as well.

Thanks for your explanation.

Tried building brcmfmac as module and after doing 'modprobe brcmfmac'
the firmware is correctly loaded from the rootfs in all the kernels I
tested.

Now I just need it to load brcmfmac module automatically, but this is
a a separate issue I will investigate.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Fabio Estevam