* [Xenomai] Is that possible to use xenomai in multi user environment without root permission?
@ 2017-02-19 12:39 Cong Monkey
From: Cong Monkey @ 2017-02-19 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

HI Devs,

I have a center server shared by multi user which is assigned sudo
permission for special cmd when needed.

Is that possible to allow the user to run any self develop rt base
application(the user will not attack server by this way) without root
permission?

Tks,
Cong

* Re: [Xenomai] Is that possible to use xenomai in multi user environment without root permission?
@ 2017-02-21 19:00 ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2017-02-21 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cong Monkey; +Cc: xenomai

Cong Monkey <congzhangzh@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a center server shared by multi user which is assigned sudo
> permission for special cmd when needed.
>
> Is that possible to allow the user to run any self develop rt base
> application(the user will not attack server by this way) without root
> permission?

Not really. Xenomai involves, among other things, making changes to the
kernel. Your user will definitely want to run his real-time application
on a system that isn't being used for anything else. The best way for
him to do that will depend entirely on what his project is.

He can *build* his Xenomai kernel and application without any special
privileges, and might save a lot of time doing so if your server is very
fast.

* Re: [Xenomai] Is that possible to use xenomai in multi user environment without root permission?
@ 2017-02-22 13:33   ` Cong Monkey
From: Cong Monkey @ 2017-02-22 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai, kludge

Hi Lowell,

Is there some other way different than recompile the kernel, like add
user to special group or change some device's permission? it will
really be easy if simple way is possible and the user need do nothing!

Tks,
Cong

@ 2017-02-22 19:08     ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2017-02-22 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cong Monkey; +Cc: xenomai

>> Cong Monkey <congzhangzh@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have a center server shared by multi user which is assigned sudo
>>> permission for special cmd when needed.
>>>
>>> Is that possible to allow the user to run any self develop rt base
>>> application(the user will not attack server by this way) without root
>>> permission?
>>
>> Not really. Xenomai involves, among other things, making changes to the
>> kernel. Your user will definitely want to run his real-time application
>> on a system that isn't being used for anything else. The best way for
>> him to do that will depend entirely on what his project is.
>>
>> He can *build* his Xenomai kernel and application without any special
>> privileges, and might save a lot of time doing so if your server is very
>> fast.

Cong Monkey <congzhangzh@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there some other way different than recompile the kernel, like add
> user to special group or change some device's permission? it will
> really be easy if simple way is possible and the user need do nothing!

It might be possible to run the application in a virtual machine.
Of course, it wouldn't get real-time behaviour.

Linux is not a real-time operating system.

* Re: [Xenomai] Is that possible to use xenomai in multi user environment without root permission?
@ 2017-02-24 15:24       ` Cong Monkey
From: Cong Monkey @ 2017-02-24 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

tks, I got it:)