From: Ilya Dryomov <idryomov@gmail.com>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: Jeff Layton <jlayton@kernel.org>,
	Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>,
	Ceph Development <ceph-devel@vger.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Ceph updates for 5.13-rc1
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 11:03:14 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 7:51 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 7:33 AM Ilya Dryomov <idryomov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There is a merge conflict in fs/ceph/dir.c because Jeff's inode
> > type handling patch went through the vfs tree together with Al's
> > inode_wrong_type() helper.  for-linus-merged has the resolution.
>
> Actually, the linux-next resolution looks wrong - or at least
> unnecessary - to me.
>
> The conversion to d_splice_alias() means that the IS_ERR() test is now
> pointless, because d_splice_alias() handles an error-pointer natively,
> and just returns the error back with ERR_CAST().
>
> So the proper resolution seems to be to just drop the IS_ERR().
>
> Adding Jeff and Al just as a heads-up.

I did it mechanically and then cross-checked against Jeff's patch:

https://lore.kernel.org/ceph-devel/20210316203919.102346-1-jlayton@kernel.org/T/#u

I guess neither Jeff nor I noticed that ERR_CAST() is redundant
because previously ceph_get_snapdir() didn't have any error handling
and the explicit check (which Jeff added in another patch that went
through Al's tree) felt "precious".

Thanks,

                Ilya