On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 18:22, Denis Kenzior wrote: > On 4/26/21 11:05 AM, Andrew Zaborowski wrote: > > Hi Denis, > > > > On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 17:53, Denis Kenzior wrote: > >>> -The group ``[IPv4]`` contains settings for IWD's built in DHCP server. All > >>> -settings are optional. > >>> +The group ``[IPv4]`` contains settings for IWD's built-in DHCP server. All > >>> +settings are optional. They're used if network configuration was enabled as > >>> +described in ``iwd.config(5)``. Omitting the ``[IPv4]`` group disables > >>> +network configuration and the DHCP server for this access point. > >>> > >> > >> Hmm.. If 'all settings are optional', then how do you know whether 'IPv4' group > >> was omitted on purpose or not? > > > > Well, you have to assume everything in the config file is done on > > purpose. I think this is the only place IWD looks at whether a group > > is present but this is the current behavior AFAIK. > > > > So your intent is to have an empty [IPV4] group (i.e. '[IPv4]' line with nothing > afterward)? Yes, I think that was the intent of the current code, e1b3e73c2b3b8864e8a4288a5a0d95b990a2321f mentions that we look at whether the section is present although the meaning has changed since then it seems. > This is a bit confusing since a user would simply omit the '[IPv4]' > line as well if all the options were the defaults... They will be told not to do so by the docs, but yes, I guess it can be confusing like anything else when it's the first time you see it. > > Maybe mention the need for this line in the docs? Ok. > Or alternatively... Do we > even need the ability to turn of dhcp per profile? Isn't > EnableNetworkConfiguration enough? I don't know, I'd leave that option in (in some form), I'm not sure if the whole profile thing was motivated by an existing request or an expectation of future use cases. Best regards