On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 8:28 AM Greg KH wrote: > > On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 07:59:04AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote: > > On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 7:45 AM Greg KH wrote: > > > > > > On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 07:33:57AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote: > > > > On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 12:38 AM Greg KH wrote: > > > > > > > > > > Why are people trying to use copy_file_range on simple /proc and /sys > > > > > files in the first place? They can not seek (well most can not), so > > > > > that feels like a "oh look, a new syscall, let's use it everywhere!" > > > > > problem that userspace should not do. > > > > > > > > This may have been covered elsewhere, but it's not that people are > > > > saying "let's use copy_file_range on files in /proc." It's that the > > > > Go language standard library provides an interface to operating system > > > > files. When Go code uses the standard library function io.Copy to > > > > copy the contents of one open file to another open file, then on Linux > > > > kernels 5.3 and greater the Go standard library will use the > > > > copy_file_range system call. That seems to be exactly what > > > > copy_file_range is intended for. Unfortunately it appears that when > > > > people writing Go code open a file in /proc and use io.Copy the > > > > contents to another open file, copy_file_range does nothing and > > > > reports success. There isn't anything on the copy_file_range man page > > > > explaining this limitation, and there isn't any documented way to know > > > > that the Go standard library should not use copy_file_range on certain > > > > files. > > > > > > But, is this a bug in the kernel in that the syscall being made is not > > > working properly, or a bug in that Go decided to do this for all types > > > of files not knowing that some types of files can not handle this? > > > > > > If the kernel has always worked this way, I would say that Go is doing > > > the wrong thing here. If the kernel used to work properly, and then > > > changed, then it's a regression on the kernel side. > > > > > > So which is it? > > > > I don't work on the kernel, so I can't tell you which it is. You will > > have to decide. > > As you have the userspace code, it should be easier for you to test this > on an older kernel. I don't have your userspace code... Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking. I've attached a sample Go program. On kernel version 2.6.32 this program exits 0. On kernel version 5.7.17 it prints got "" want "./foo\x00" and exits with status 1. This program hardcodes the string "/proc/self/cmdline" for convenience, but of course the same results would happen if this were a generic copy program that somebody invoked with /proc/self/cmdline as a command line option. I could write the same program in C easily enough, by explicitly calling copy_file_range. Would it help to see a sample C program? > > From my perspective, as a kernel user rather than a kernel developer, > > a system call that silently fails for certain files and that provides > > no way to determine either 1) ahead of time that the system call will > > fail, or 2) after the call that the system call did fail, is a useless > > system call. > > Great, then don't use copy_file_range() yet as it seems like it fits > that category at the moment :) That seems like an unfortunate result, but if that is the determining opinion then I guess that is what we will have to do in the Go standard library. Ian