From: Christian Couder <christian.couder@gmail.com>
To: Yotam Gingold <yotam@yotamgingold.com>
Cc: git <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Git reset --hard with staged changes
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 21:31:16 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 2:55 AM, Yotam Gingold <yotam@yotamgingold.com> wrote:
> Pierre-François CLEMENT <likeyn <at> gmail.com> writes:

>>> Because it never removes them?  Git only removes files once it tracks
>>> them.  This includes the operation of removing _and_ untracking them,
>>> like with git reset --hard.
>>>
>>> The only command which explicitly messes with untracked files is
>>> git-clean.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Kastrup
>>
>> ... I couldn't find a definition that backs this in the man
>> pages (maybe the git-glossary would be a good place for it?), and the
>> one from the Git-Scm book only confused me in thinking the opposite.
>> Thanks for the clarification
>>
>> --
>> Pierre-François CLEMENT
>> Application developer at Upcast Social
>
> Jumping into this conversation two years later*. There's confusion about what
> constitutes a tracked file for git reset --hard, and good reasons for git reset
> --hard's behavior. Nevertheless, I think we can all agree that the man page
> entry for git reset --hard is woefully deficient:
>
> --hard Resets the index and working tree. Any changes to tracked files in the
> working tree since <commit> are discarded.
>
> This should be clarified to define what a tracked file is. I propose appending:
>
>     A file is considered tracked if it exists in a prior commit or in the
>     staging area. Note that a newly added file not in any prior commit will be
>     removed.

Would you like to send a patch with something like the above?

I don't know if something about why it is like this, or why it is the
right thing to do, at least for recovering from merges, should be
added though.

> I would also like to propose that the staging area's tree object be saved,
> perhaps in the reflog or perhaps just as a dangling object. This would allow
> graceful recovery from git reset --hard. Witness the many questions and answers
> on recovery:
>     http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7374069/undo-git-reset-hard-with-uncommitted-files-in-the-
> staging-area
>     http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5788037/recover-from-git-reset-hard
>     http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5473/how-can-i-undo-git-reset-hard-head1
>     http://gitready.com/advanced/2009/01/17/restoring-lost-commits.html
>     https://bani.com.br/2014/10/recovering-lost-files-after-a-git-reset-hard/
>     https://medium.com/@CarrieGuss/how-to-recover-from-a-git-hard-reset-b830b5e3f60c
>
> All of these solutions recover the contents of files, but not their names or the
> directory structure. Saving the tree object somewhere (anywhere!) would solve
> this problem.

Yeah, it might be a good idea.

> I was bitten by this in a vicious way. I was setting up a new repository for a
> bunch of code and data (git init; git add .), changed my mind about adding the
> data (git reset --hard), and nearly lost everything.

I think we could also perhaps have a special case when the current
branch doesn't really exist yet.

At least if you had used "git reset --keep", it would have failed with:

$ git reset --keep
error: You do not have a valid HEAD.
fatal: Could not reset index file to revision 'HEAD'.

Also if there had already been a commit, with --keep the new files
would not have been deleted.

> The only tree object that
> could be found was an empty one, so I got file contents without names or
> directories (not good, because experimental conditions for the data were encoded
> in the directory structure).

Best,
Christian.