* [ANNOUNCE] GSoC 2020 Students and Projects
@ 2020-05-10  3:55 Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2020-05-10  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git
  Cc: Junio C Hamano, Jeff King, Johannes Schindelin, Kaartic Sivaraam,
	Heba Waly, Jakub Narebski, Derrick Stolee, Hariom verma,
	Shourya Shukla, Abhishek Kumar, Stephanie Taylor

Hi everyone,

As you might already know, the following proposals and students have
been officially accepted to be part of Google Summer of Code 2020:

- "Implement Generation Number v2"
(https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/project/6140278689234944/overview/)
from Abhishek
Kumar will be co-mentored by Jakub Narebski and Derrick Stolee.

- "Unify ref-filter formats with other --pretty formats"
(https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/project/4593212745842688/overview/)
from Hariom Verma will be co-mentored by Heba Waly and Christian
Couder.

- "Convert submodule to builtin"
(https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/project/6451304047575040/overview/)
from Shourya Shukla will be co-mentored by Kaartic Sivaraam and
Christian Couder.

Congratulations to Shourya, Hariom and Abhishek for their work and
dedication so far!

We had many more proposals and students working on micro-projects this
year compared to previous years.

Thanks to everyone who worked on micro-projects and on proposals with
the goal of being selected! Unfortunately it was not possible to
accept more than 3 students and proposals this year.

Thanks to the mentors who accepted to dedicate time and effort to
allow the above proposals and students to be selected!

Thanks also to everyone who helped review the micro-projects and the
proposals, and guide the students!

Thanks Google for organizing and sponsoring this event!

Looking forward to another great Google Summer of Code!

Best,
Christian.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] GSoC 2020 Students and Projects
@ 2020-05-10  9:32 ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2020-05-10  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder, git
  Cc: Junio C Hamano, Jeff King, Johannes Schindelin, Kaartic Sivaraam,
	Heba Waly, Jakub Narebski, Derrick Stolee, Hariom verma,
	Shourya Shukla, Abhishek Kumar, Stephanie Taylor

Hi Christian,

On 10/05/2020 04:55, Christian Couder wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As you might already know, the following proposals and students have
> been officially accepted to be part of Google Summer of Code 2020:
>
> - "Implement Generation Number v2"
> (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/project/6140278689234944/overview/)
> from Abhishek
> Kumar will be co-mentored by Jakub Narebski and Derrick Stolee.
>
> - "Unify ref-filter formats with other --pretty formats"
> (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/project/4593212745842688/overview/)
> from Hariom Verma will be co-mentored by Heba Waly and Christian
> Couder.
>
> - "Convert submodule to builtin"
> (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/project/6451304047575040/overview/)
> from Shourya Shukla will be co-mentored by Kaartic Sivaraam and
> Christian Couder.

Do we need special login's to view the proposals you linked to?

I'd at least like to follow along the technical details of the
generation number development.

Philip

@ 2020-05-10  9:59   ` Matthias Aßhauer
From: Matthias Aßhauer @ 2020-05-10  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: philipoakley
  Cc: Johannes.Schindelin, abhishekkumar8222, christian.couder, git,
	gitster, hariom18599, heba.waly, jnareb, kaartic.sivaraam, peff,
	shouryashukla.oo, stolee, sttaylor

These modified links should be accessible without any login. > -
"Implement Generation Number v2"
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6140278689234944
formats" https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#4593212745842688
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6451304047575040

@ 2020-05-10 10:09     ` Matthias Aßhauer
From: Matthias Aßhauer @ 2020-05-10 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mha1993
  Cc: Johannes.Schindelin, abhishekkumar8222, christian.couder, git,
	gitster, hariom18599, heba.waly, jnareb, kaartic.sivaraam, peff,
	philipoakley, shouryashukla.oo, stolee, sttaylor

Since my mail client mangled the previous mail badly I'm sending
it again with slight changes to hopefully prevent the mangling.

These modified links should be accessible without any login.

"Implement Generation Number v2" from Abhishek Kumar will be
co-mentored by Jakub Narebski and Derrick Stolee.

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6140278689234944

"Unify ref-filter formats with other --pretty formats"
from Hariom Verma will be co-mentored by Heba Waly and
Christian Couder.

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#4593212745842688

"Convert submodule to builtin" from Shourya Shukla will be
co-mentored by Kaartic Sivaraam and Christian Couder.

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6451304047575040

Best regards

Matthias

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] GSoC 2020 Students and Projects
@ 2020-05-10 18:51       ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2020-05-10 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: philipoakley
  Cc: Matthias Aßhauer, Johannes.Schindelin, abhishekkumar8222,
	christian.couder, git, gitster, hariom18599, heba.waly, jnareb,
	peff, shouryashukla.oo, stolee, sttaylor

Hi Philip,

You can find more details about the proposals in the the final draft
which were sent to the mailing list. You can find the links to
corresponding mailing list e-mails, inline.

https://lore.kernel.org/git/20200326101520.GA19326@Abhishek-Arch/

https://lore.kernel.org/git/CA+CkUQ966swTrR7D2vxgQ2ZA3E=Le=u8yvEAopOsphoCWGgDeg@mail.gmail.com/

https://lore.kernel.org/git/20200325185053.10274-1-shouryashukla.oo@gmail.com/

--
Sivaraam

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] GSoC 2020 Students and Projects
@ 2020-05-11  3:43         ` Abhishek Kumar
From: Abhishek Kumar @ 2020-05-11  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam; +Cc: git, jnareb, stolee

Greetings everyone!

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:21:08AM +0530, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> You can find more details about the proposals in the the final draft which
> were sent to the mailing list. You can find the links to corresponding
> mailing list e-mails, inline.
>
> On 10-05-2020 15:39, Matthias Aßhauer wrote:
> > Since my mail client mangled the previous mail badly I'm sending
> > it again with slight changes to hopefully prevent the mangling.
> >
> > These modified links should be accessible without any login.
> >
> > "Implement Generation Number v2" from Abhishek Kumar will be
> > co-mentored by Jakub Narebski and Derrick Stolee.
> >
> > https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6140278689234944
> >

> https://lore.kernel.org/git/20200326101520.GA19326@Abhishek-Arch/

To add more to this:

Initially the project aimed to explore alternative methods to make
Git faster, such as using min-post labelling and more involved variants
like GRAIL [1], FERRARI [2].

After much discussion [3], implementing corrected commit date and
exploring alternatives were broken down to two different projects - with
the understanding that the exploration is closer to 'Research Experience
for Undergraduates' than a GSoC project.

However, I had been working on a proposal [4] on the exploration. I
describe the methods, talk about their characteristics such as memory
usage, preprocessing time, performance on positive and negative queries.

You should also refer to Dr. Jakub's resources at the end of SoC 2020
Ideas page [5]. I would recommend starting with the Dr. Jakub's slides
and 'Pruning Based on DFS Numbering'.

[1]: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225756202_GRAIL_A_scalable_index_for_reachability_queries_in_very_large_graphs
[2]: https://arxiv.org/abs/1211.3375
[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/7d6a84c7-6b16-c2a9-11a1-3397422064d1@gmail.com/
[2]: https://github.com/abhishekkumar2718/GSoC20/blob/master/graph_labelling.md
[3]: https://git.github.io/SoC-2020-Ideas/

> > "Unify ref-filter formats with other --pretty formats"
> > from Hariom Verma will be co-mentored by Heba Waly and
> > Christian Couder.
> >
> > https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#4593212745842688
> >
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/CA+CkUQ966swTrR7D2vxgQ2ZA3E=Le=u8yvEAopOsphoCWGgDeg@mail.gmail.com/
>
> > "Convert submodule to builtin" from Shourya Shukla will be
> > co-mentored by Kaartic Sivaraam and Christian Couder.
> >
> > https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6451304047575040
> >

> https://lore.kernel.org/git/20200325185053.10274-1-shouryashukla.oo@gmail.com/
>
> --
> Sivaraam

Regards
Abhishek

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] GSoC 2020 Students and Projects
@ 2020-05-11  6:46   ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2020-05-11  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Oakley
  Cc: git, Junio C Hamano, Jeff King, Johannes Schindelin,
	Kaartic Sivaraam, Heba Waly, Jakub Narebski, Derrick Stolee,
	Hariom verma, Shourya Shukla, Abhishek Kumar, Stephanie Taylor,
	Matthias Aßhauer

Hi Philip,

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:32 AM Philip Oakley <philipoakley@iee.email> wrote:

> Do we need special login's to view the proposals you linked to?
>
> I'd at least like to follow along the technical details of the
> generation number development.

Yeah, sorry about the links I sent, and thanks to Matthias, Kaartic
and Abhishek for providing better information.

Best,
Christian.