From: Qingtao Cao <qingtao.cao.au@gmail.com>
To: linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: How to enable hci0 for bcm4356 chip on htc m9?
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 10:52:55 +1000	[thread overview]

Hello,

I've figured out how to enable hci0 for bcm4356 chipset on Linux other
than android. Turns out the bluedroid in CyanogenMod android for htc
m9 phone no longer uses bluez and its dbus interfaces any longer, no
wonder there is no hci0 found there.

Turns out broadcom wifi/bt/fm chipset needs a special program to
download the required "mini driver" or *.hcd file to it at system
startup. Previously I tried to extract relevant code from broadcom's
libbt-vendor.so implementation for bluedroid, it was on the correct
direction but I hadn't unveiled all needed code. Turns out there is a
open source program for this purpose already, brcm_patchram_plus,
which could bring about the hci0 interface by the following command:

./brcm_patchram_plus -d --patchram
/system/etc/firmware/BCM4354A2_001.003.015.0064.0175.hcd --no2bytes
--baudrate 4000000 --use_baudrate_for_download --bd_addr
90:E7:C4:F3:F7:09 --enable_hci --scopcm=0,4,0,0,0,1,0,3,0,0
/dev/ttyHS0 &

Please note that bluetooth kernel driver needs to enable HCIUART and
HCIUART_H4 options to  activate relevant tty driver for the HCI-UART
interface. Of course, before running the above program, the bluetooth
hardware functionality should be powered on by "rfkill unblock
bluetooth" command, or directly writing 1 into relevant
/sys/class/rfkill/rfkillN/state file.

Moreover, if the --scopcm option needs to be changed, the process of
brcm_patchram_plus can be killed and restarted, however, I found that
I also need to block and then unblock the bluetooth via rfkill command
otherwise it will fail to download the mini drivers in the hcd file.

Last but not least, please note that the --scopcm option is not
working for me at the time being. I've already specified SCORouting =
PCM in audio.conf, but SCO-over-PCM doesn't work for me and I can't
hear anything from a connected bluetooth headset. Only change the SCO
routing to HCI (also requires the first byte, sco_routing, in the
--scopcm option, set to 1) would I hear some sound through the
headset, however, unfortunately, they are simply noise.

Cheers,
Harry