From: Eneas Queiroz <cotequeiroz@gmail.com>
To: szeder.dev@gmail.com
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Error while trying to git apply a patch; works with patch -p1
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 09:17:54 -0300	[thread overview]

Em qui, 4 de out de 2018 às 18:45, SZEDER Gábor <szeder.dev@gmail.com> escreveu:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 06:01:11PM -0300, Eneas Queiroz wrote:
> > I've sent this to the list 2 days ago, but I can't find it in the list
> > archives, so I'm sending it again without files attached.  I apologize
> > if this is a duplicate. One should be able to reproduce this with the
> > current PR files, but if not, I can provide them.
> >
> > I've hit a strange error while trying to apply a patch from github
> > here: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/965
> >
> > 965.patch:452: trailing whitespace.
> >
> > 965.patch:559: space before tab in indent.
> >              -o $(SHLIBNAME_FULL) \
> > 965.patch:560: space before tab in indent.
> >              $$ALLSYMSFLAGS $$SHOBJECTS $$NOALLSYMSFLAGS $$LIBDEPS; \
> > 965.patch:564: space before tab in indent.
> >         -o $(SHLIBNAME_FULL) \
> > 965.patch:2334: trailing whitespace.
> >
> > error: package/libs/openssl/patches/100-Configure-afalg-support.patch:
> > No such file or directory
> > error: package/libs/openssl/patches/110-openwrt_targets.patch: No such
> > file or directory
> > error: package/libs/openssl/patches/120-fix_link_segfault.patch: No
> > such file or directory
> > error: package/libs/openssl/patches/1.1.0/100-Configure-afalg-support.patch:
> > No such file or directory
> > error: package/libs/openssl/patches/1.1.0/110-openwrt_targets.patch:
> > No such file or directory
> >
> > If you get the patch file from
> > https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/965.patch and apply it with
> > git apply, it fails.  If I apply the same file with patch -p1, it
> > works fine.  I've tried it with git 2.16.4 and 2.19, and they both
> > fail with the same error, and at least 2 more people have confirmed
> > it.
> >
> > git apply fails even when using git format-patch -13 --stdout as a
> > source, so it is not github doing something weird.
> >
> > The file is a series of 13 patches.  If I split the series after the
>
> So this is no _a_ patch, then, but a mailbox of patches.  'git apply'
> is supposed to apply a single a patch; apparently 'patch' is more
> lenient.
>
> Have you tried 'git am'?
>
> > 3rd patch, it works.
> > Also, if I use https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/965.diff, it also works.
> >
> > I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Eneas

Thanks for the reply.  Is that expected behavior?  git apply seems to
work in most similar cases.

git am works fine--although it complains a lot about whitespace errors
when patching *.patch output files.

I know they're just warnings, but perhaps git apply/am should suppress
them when creating/patching a *.patch file, since context lines in
'*.patch' files all start with a space.

Cheers,

Eneas