* self-hosted image vs. build appliance
@ 2012-06-20 16:23 Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2012-06-20 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Does anybody know why are we calling it 'self-hosted-image' in Hob and
'build-appliance' in the Yocto Project website? Wouldn't it be easier if
we used the same name everywhere? Which one should be used?

Thanks!

Belen

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47

* Re: self-hosted image vs. build appliance
@ 2012-06-20 16:44 ` Saul Wold
From: Saul Wold @ 2012-06-20 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: yocto

On 06/20/2012 09:23 AM, Barros Pena, Belen wrote:
> Does anybody know why are we calling it 'self-hosted-image' in Hob and
> 'build-appliance' in the Yocto Project website? Wouldn't it be easier if
> we used the same name everywhere? Which one should be used?

They are slightly different.  The self-hosted-image is the recipe name
that generates the image.  The build-appliance is the VMware OVF file
and bits needed to use VMPlayer or VMWorkstation.  The self-hosted-image
is the underlying disk image used in the Build Appliance

Sau!

@ 2012-06-20 22:16 ` Stewart, David C
From: Stewart, David C @ 2012-06-20 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2012-06-21 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saul Wold; +Cc: yocto

Hi Saul,

Thanks for explaining. But I must say: to an outsider, the existing naming
does not explain how these 2 things relate to each other.

We are adding a description of the 'self-hosted-image' to Hob, including a
link to the Build Appliance page in the Yocto Project website. But I am
not sure it will be enough to fully explain the relationship between both.
Is there any reason why the recipe and the ovf file need to have different
names?

Cheers

Belen

@ 2012-06-21 10:39   ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2012-06-21 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stewart, David C, yocto

Thanks, Dave. If no suggestions come in, I'll file the bug.

Belen

@ 2012-06-21 15:22     ` Saul Wold
From: Saul Wold @ 2012-06-21 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: yocto

On 06/21/2012 03:30 AM, Barros Pena, Belen wrote:
> Hi Saul,
>
> Thanks for explaining. But I must say: to an outsider, the existing naming
> does not explain how these 2 things relate to each other.
>
> We are adding a description of the 'self-hosted-image' to Hob, including a
> link to the Build Appliance page in the Yocto Project website. But I am
> not sure it will be enough to fully explain the relationship between both.
> Is there any reason why the recipe and the ovf file need to have different
> names?

How about build-appliance-image and building a Build Appliance ovf

Sau!

@ 2012-06-22  8:44       ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2012-06-22  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saul Wold; +Cc: yocto

Dave Stewart has suggested to use Build Appliance everywhere unless
someone comes up with something better. I think build-appliance-image is
definitely better than self-hosted-image, so I'll ask that to be changed
in Hob as part of bug 2636.

About the description, this is what Scott has suggested:

'An image you can run using the Yocto Project Build Appliance. It boots
from VMware Player or VMware Workstation. For more details, visit the
Yocto Project Website.'

'visit the Yocto Project Website' would be a link to
http://www.yoctoproject.org/documentation/build-appliance

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Belen

@ 2012-06-22 13:44         ` Rifenbark, Scott M
From: Rifenbark, Scott M @ 2012-06-22 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen, Saul Wold; +Cc: yocto

The term "self-hosted image" will need to be expunged from the docs.  This should be mentioned in the bug as well.

Scott

@ 2012-06-25  9:38           ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2012-06-25  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rifenbark, Scott M, Saul Wold; +Cc: yocto

Hi Scott,

I'll file a separate bug for the documentation.

Cheers

Belen

@ 2012-06-25  9:47             ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2012-06-25  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen, Rifenbark, Scott M, Saul Wold; +Cc: yocto

Just filed that bug for the documentation: 2656

https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2656

Cheers

Belen