From: Keir Fraser <keir.xen@gmail.com>
To: Daniel Kiper <daniel.kiper@oracle.com>,
	xen-devel@lists.xensource.com, konrad.wilk@oracle.com,
	stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com, ian.campbell@citrix.com,
	keir@xen.org, jbeulich@suse.com
Subject: Re: New Xen boot infrastructure proposal
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 14:24:37 +0100	[thread overview]

On 21/05/2013 11:36, "Daniel Kiper" <daniel.kiper@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Here are my thoughts about current Xen boot
> infrastructure and some changes proposal.
> It is linked with EFI development but not only.
>
> Since the beginning Xen image and other needed stuff
> could be loaded into memory according to multiboot
> protocol. (e.g. implemented by GRUB). It means that
> current implementation of Xen takes info about current
> system config from multiboot_info_t structure (it is
> copied from original place in assembly files and then
> passed as an argument to __start_xen()) and some other
> BIOS sources if needed (e.g. VGA config, EDD data).
> Later when EFI come into the scene there was no significant
> change in that. multiboot_info_t structure and others
> are initialized artificially by Xen EFI boot stuff.
> Additionally, due to that there is no place for extra boot
> info in multiboot_info_t e.g. ACPI data is passed via
> supplementary global variables. Now there is a requirement
> for boot Xen on EFI platform via GRUB. Due to that new
> boot protocol called multiboot2 should be supported.
> This means that in current situation another conversion
> to legacy multiboot_info_t structure and others should be
> implemented. However, due to limitations of multiboot_info_t
> structure not all arguments (e.g. ACPI data) could be passed
> via it. That leads to further code complication. It means
> that at this stage it is worth to create completely new
> boot structure which is not linked so tightly with any boot
> protocol.

> It should contain all needed stuff, be architecture
> independent as much as possible and easily extensible.

Why and why? Well I mean we shouldn't make things deliberately architecture
*dependent*, but where tables and flags need parsing/translating I'd rather
do that once per architecture, rather than once per bootloader format (which
I am thinking are mostly arch-dependent, and hence at least as numerous as
architectures). As for easily extensible, we are talking about communication
between Xen 'pre-loaders' (we might call them) and Xen proper (eg
arch/x86/setup.c). Who cares about the hassle of extensible self-describing
formats here? Just make it a struct and extend the struct, it all gets built
together as matched sets of pre-loaders and Xen anyway.

I'd be looking for a simple extension to what we have to pass stuff like
ACPI through, if it's needed at all. Maybe clean things up a bit and work
out a nice way to mate that with the existing multiboot-centric world. I
wouldn't waste my time hitting it with the architecture sledgehammer.

 -- Keir