All of lore.kernel.org
From: "Keller, Jacob E" <jacob.e.keller@intel.com>
To: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@resnulli.us>
Cc: "netdev@vger.kernel.org" <netdev@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: [net-next 0/4] devlink: add dry run support for flash update
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:21:33 +0000	[thread overview]

I'd be more in favor of converting either this specific op (or devlink as a whole) to strict checking. I think that most of the devlink commands and ops would function better if unknown behaviors were rejected rather than ignored.

If we prefer to avoid that due to historically not being strict, I'm ok with a userspace check. It does complicate the userspace a bit more, but I agree that especially for dry_run we don't want it accidentally updating when a dry run was expected.

There is some maintenance cost to switching to strict checking but I think it's pretty minimal because the strict checking simply prevents the unknown attributes from being ignored.

I'm happy to go either direction if we get consensus on this thread though.

Thanks,
Jake