From: "Weber, Matthew L Collins" <Matthew.Weber@collins.com>
To: "selinux@vger.kernel.org" <selinux@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-security-module@vger.kernel.org"
	<linux-security-module@vger.kernel.org>
Cc: "Graziano, David D Collins" <david.graziano@collins.com>
Subject: LSM policy options for new GPIO kernel driver interface
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 17:08:14 +0000	[thread overview]

All,

Since the 5.10 kernel, the GPIO subsystem has migrated from a sysfs based GPIO export method [1] (everything is a file) to a character device[2] + library[3].  The new framework[2] provides users with signal debouncing and other features that benefit embedded products.  The legacy method[1] allowed fine policy control of who can export / set / get the GPIO state.  We have not found a similar security policy path with the new approach.  Has anyone brainstormed strategies for the new character device-based interface without adding a userspace broker to enforce another level of rules?  The ideal case would be to keep all the controls within the SELinux refpolicy such that testing can be all-inclusive.

I'd be interested in what people think, such that I can prepare a university research project submission for Fall 2021 to build a prototype.

Best Regards,
--
Matt Weber

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/driver-api/gpio/legacy.html#sysfs-interface-for-userspace-optional