From: Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com>
To: Jeff Layton <jlayton@kernel.org>
Cc: NeilBrown <neilb@suse.com>, Bruce Fields <bfields@fieldses.org>,
	Joshua Watt <jpewhacker@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: NFS Force Unmounting
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 10:55:19 -0400	[thread overview]

> On Oct 31, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2017-10-31 at 08:09 +1100, NeilBrown wrote:

>>> For "Kernel NFS server", I think you mean "Kernel NFS client".

>>> I don't know.
>>>
>>> In the hard case I don't think you'd want to do something like
>>> this--applications expect mounts to be stay pinned while they're using
>>> them, not to get -EIO.  In the soft case maybe an exception like this
>>> makes sense.
>>
>> Applications also expect to get responses to read() requests, and expect
>> fsync() to complete, but if the servers has melted down, that isn't
>> going to happen.  Sometimes unexpected errors are better than unexpected
>> infinite delays.
>>
>> I think we need a reliable way to unmount an NFS filesystem mounted from
>> a non-responsive server.  Maybe that just means fixing all the places
>> where use we use TASK_UNINTERRUTIBLE when waiting for the server.  That
>> would allow processes accessing the filesystem to be killed.  I don't
>> know if that would meet Joshua's needs.
>>
>> Last time this came up, Trond didn't want to make MNT_FORCE too strong as
>> it only makes sense to be forceful on the final unmount, and we cannot
>> know if this is the "final" unmount (no other bind-mounts around) until
>> much later than ->umount_prepare.  Maybe umount is the wrong interface.
>> Maybe we should expose "struct nfs_client" (or maybe "struct
>> nfs_server") objects via sysfs so they can be marked "dead" (or similar)
>> meaning that all IO should fail.
>>

> I like this idea.
>
> Note that we already have some per-rpc_xprt / per-rpc_clnt info in
> debugfs sunrpc dir. We could make some writable files in there, to allow
> you to kill off individual RPCs or maybe mark a whole clnt and/or xprt
> dead in some fashion.

Listing individual RPCs seems like overkill. It would be straightforward
to identify these transports by the IP addresses of the remotes, and just
mark the specific transports for a dead server. Maybe the --force option
of umount could do this.

The RPC client can then walk through the dead transport's list of RPC
tasks and terminate all of them.

That makes it easy to find these things. But it doesn't take care of
killing processes that are not interruptible, though.

> I don't really have a good feel for what this interface should look like
> yet. debugfs is attractive here, as it's supposedly not part of the
> kernel ABI guarantee. That allows us to do some experimentation in this
> area, without making too big an initial commitment.
> --
> Jeff Layton <jlayton@kernel.org>

Chuck Lever