* Several general questions
@ 2016-04-19 14:56 Shay Slobodkin
From: Shay Slobodkin @ 2016-04-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

We have some general questions from our latest experience with the project:

1. We saw some corresponding about out of the box experience and we were wondering how does the BMC should be burnt for the first time in production. Currently we have limited speed of debug UART on AST2520, also Aspeed recommend to use this interface for debug purpose only. We also faced a problem to burn BMC using Abatron BDI3000, does anyone have experience working with it?

2. Several u-boot versions were mentioned this week at mailing list, we currently use u-boot based on 2013.7 with porting AST2520 stuff from Aspeed EVB u-boot. Can you suggest a u-boot version to merge with?

3. Is there some standard method performing BMC upgrade on site from host CPU? Is there a best practice of upgrade granularity? Meaning, do you suggest to upgrade whole image or maybe just specific partition (only DTB for example)?

4. We saw that most openbmc systems are using jffs2 file system. We thought to use ubifs as it has some advantages over jffs2. Can you share the motivation of using jffs2 for BMC project and is there special reason for doing so?

5. Some Aspeed EVB drivers such as USB, PWM were not ported to openbmc kernel tree yet. We were planning to port them and wonder if there is any special reason they weren't ported yet.

6. Building the project yields a lot of files under the "deploy" folder of build. We were wondering which files to use for simply flashing a system (using flashcp?) and which should be used for production.

Thank you for your assistance,
Shay

* Re: Several general questions
@ 2016-04-19 16:34 ` Norman James
From: Norman James @ 2016-04-19 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shay Slobodkin; +Cc: openbmc

I answered 1, 3, and 6

Regards,
Norman James
IBM - POWER Systems Architect
Phone: 1-512-286-6807 (T/L: 363-6807)
Internet: njames@us.ibm.com

From:	Shay Slobodkin <shays@mellanox.com>
To:	"openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Date:	04/19/2016 10:12 AM
Subject:	Several general questions
Sent by:	"openbmc" <openbmc-bounces+njames=us.ibm.com@lists.ozlabs.org>

Hi,

We have some general questions from our latest experience with the project:

1. We saw some corresponding about out of the box experience and we were
wondering how does the BMC should be burnt for the first time in
production. Currently we have limited speed of debug UART on AST2520, also
Aspeed recommend to use this interface for debug purpose only. We also
faced a problem to burn BMC using Abatron BDI3000, does anyone have
experience working with it?

>> For the first time flash, an external SPI flash programmer is usually
used.   The DediProg SF100 works with no issues.

2. Several u-boot versions were mentioned this week at mailing list, we
currently use u-boot based on 2013.7 with porting AST2520 stuff from Aspeed
EVB u-boot. Can you suggest a u-boot version to merge with?

3. Is there some standard method performing BMC upgrade on site from host
CPU? Is there a best practice of upgrade granularity? Meaning, do you
suggest to upgrade whole image or maybe just specific partition (only DTB
for example)?

>> When flashing from the host, we do no currently support a partial
upgrade.   We boot the BMC into a mode where it doesn't use the flash
filesystem and then use SOCFlash from Aspeed.   You can reboot the BMC into
this special mode with ipmitool from host CPU.   Through REST, we do
support upgrades of kernel, readonly filesystem, rw filesystem, and uboot
separately.  In the deploy directory, the image-* files are for this and
packaged up in the tar.

4. We saw that most openbmc systems are using jffs2 file system. We thought
to use ubifs as it has some advantages over jffs2. Can you share the
motivation of using jffs2 for BMC project and is there special reason for
doing so?

5. Some Aspeed EVB drivers such as USB, PWM were not ported to openbmc
kernel tree yet. We were planning to port them and wonder if there is any
special reason they weren’t ported yet.

6. Building the project yields a lot of files under the “deploy” folder of
build. We were wondering which files to use for simply flashing a system
(using flashcp?) and which should be used for production.

>> flash-[system_name] can be directly flashed with the a programmer,
SOCFlash, or flashcp.

Thank you for your assistance,
Shay

[-- Attachment #2: graycol.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 105 bytes --]

* Re: Several general questions
@ 2016-04-19 21:00   ` Chris Austen
From: Chris Austen @ 2016-04-19 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman James; +Cc: openbmc, shays

[-- Attachment #2: Image.1__=09BBF509DFCB9B178f9e8a93df938690918c09B@.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 105 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Image.1__=09BBF509DFCB9B178f9e8a93df938690918c09B@.gif --]

@ 2016-04-19 21:25     ` Teddy Reed
From: Teddy Reed @ 2016-04-19 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Austen; +Cc: Norman James, OpenBMC Maillist

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Chris Austen <austenc@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I semi answered the rest.  Hoping Teddy or others can really address #5
>

> Chris Austen
> POWER Systems Enablement Manager
> (512) 286-5184 (T/L: 363-5184)

I don't think we're using either, but I'm not 100% certain that all
boards wont need USB or PWM. I can check and get back to you, in all
cases it's very difficult for us to submit patches upstream. The best
I could offer is testing. :)

> 6. Building the project yields a lot of files under the “deploy” folder of
> build. We were wondering which files to use for simply flashing a system
> (using flashcp?) and which should be used for production.
>
>>> flash-[system_name] can be directly flashed with the a programmer,
>>> SOCFlash, or flashcp.
>
> Thank you for your assistance,
> Shay

Teddy Reed V

* Re: Several general questions
@ 2016-04-20  2:07 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2016-04-20  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shay Slobodkin; +Cc: openbmc

Hello Shay,

Nice to hear from you again.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 12:26 AM, Shay Slobodkin <shays@mellanox.com> wrote:

> 2. Several u-boot versions were mentioned this week at mailing list, we
> currently use u-boot based on 2013.7 with porting AST2520 stuff from
> Aspeed EVB u-boot. Can you suggest a u-boot version to merge with?

We're in the process of cleaning up the u-boot. You have three options

 1. v2013.07-aspeed-openbmc tree. This is the tree used in Barreleye
 2. v2016.03-openbmc tree. There's a few versions floating around, but
it's the barreleye tree rebased on 2016.03.
 3. wait for us to add aspeed support to upstream u-boot. This isn't ready yet

It might make sense to go with 1 with the intention of moving to 3
when it's ready, but it's up to you to.

> 4. We saw that most openbmc systems are using jffs2 file system. We thought
> to use ubifs as it has some advantages over jffs2. Can you share the
> motivation of using jffs2 for BMC project and is there special reason for
> doing so?

This was a design decision made when implementing this part of the
system. Milton might be able to remind us what the reasons were.

If you wish to instead use ubifs I think that it is a good choice.

> 5. Some Aspeed EVB drivers such as USB, PWM were not ported to openbmc
> kernel tree yet. We were planning to port them and wonder if there is any
> special reason they weren’t ported yet.

As Chris mentioned, this was simply because we didn't require them.
Our dev-4.4 tree contains support for the following:

 - irq controller, uarts and timer. these are the basics required to boot
 - i2c master. Only byte-at-a-time, no DMA support
 - gpio. direction, state, and interrupts are supported
 - internal rtc. this isn't battery backed so we disable it and
instead use a i2c attached battery backed rtc
 - watchdog. required for rebooting the soc
 - spi-nor. this is the mode we use our flash in; it supports both the
SMC and FMC
 - ethernet mac with NSCI
 - bt character device, for in-band IPMI communication with the host
 - vuart

As we didn't use the PWM, USB host nor USB device on Barreleye so no
time was spent on these.

If there is interest in writing clean drivers for these devices I
would welcome patches, and can assist with review and integration.

I'm no longer working on our own tree. My focus is now cleaning up
patches and submitting them upstream. Last week I sent out a series
that adds basic support for the ast2400:

 http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2016-April/422110.html

I intend to follow that up with some fixes as well as ast2500 support today.

Cheers,

Joel

* RE: Several general questions
@ 2016-04-27 21:28   ` Shay Slobodkin
From: Shay Slobodkin @ 2016-04-27 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley, openbmc

Thank you guys for you quick reply and assistance.
We have taking your input into our design, still digesting, and let you know if we have more questions.

We have also added a tuning file under:
yocto-poky/meta/conf/machine/include/tune-arm1176jzf-s.inc

Would you put the file elsewhere?

We wonder if there is anything else we should add/remove from this file.
Current content is:

    EFAULTTUNE ?= "armv6"

    require conf/machine/include/arm/arch-armv6.inc

    TUNEVALID[arm1176jzf-s] = "Enable arm1176jzf-s specific processor optimizations"
    TUNE_CCARGS .= "${@bb.utils.contains("TUNE_FEATURES", "arm1176jzf-s", " -mtune=arm1176jzf-s", "", d)}"

    AVAILTUNES += "arm1176jzf-s"
   ARMPKGARCH_tune-arm1176jzf-s = "arm1176jzf-s"
   TUNE_FEATURES_tune-arm1176jzf-s = "${TUNE_FEATURES_tune-armv6} arm1176jzf-s"
   PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS_tune-arm1176jzf-s = "${PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS_tune-armv6} arm1176jzf-s-vfp"

Thanks,
Shay

@ 2016-04-28  1:03     ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2016-04-28  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shay Slobodkin; +Cc: openbmc

Hi Shay

the yocto-poky dir is just a snapshot of the yocto project so we try to keep that vanilla.

I’d suggest putting it here:
meta-openbmc-bsp/conf/machine/include/tune-arm1176jzf-s.inc (note that these tune includes don’t go in the ‘arm’ subdir in upstream Yocto).

Then as more SOC layers that use this core get added - for example:

meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-aspeed/meta-ast2520
meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-aspeed/meta-ast-soc-based-on-arm1176
meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-other-arm-vendor/meta-other-arm1176-based-soc

they can all reference this tune file.

The file contents look good to me.

thx - brad

@ 2016-04-28 18:04       ` Shay Slobodkin
From: Shay Slobodkin @ 2016-04-28 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: openbmc

Thanks for the enlightenment.
Will change accordingly.

Shay

Sounds very reasonable.

> I’d suggest putting it here:
> meta-openbmc-bsp/conf/machine/include/tune-arm1176jzf-s.inc (note that
> these tune includes don’t go in the ‘arm’ subdir in upstream Yocto).

Will move it there, looks like the proper location.

> Then as more SOC layers that use this core get added - for example:
>
> meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-aspeed/meta-ast2520
> meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-aspeed/meta-ast-soc-based-on-arm1176
> meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-other-arm-vendor/meta-other-arm1176-based-
> soc
>
> they can all reference this tune file.
>
> The file contents look good to me.

Thank you for reviewing.