* Re: Fw: RE: Telemetry Streaming from OpenBMC
       [not found] <OF14108F29.F96A2615-ON00258495.0040F63B-86258495.00411F29@notes.na.collabserv.com>
@ 2019-10-22 18:47 ` Justin Thaler
From: Justin Thaler @ 2019-10-22 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: piotr.matuszczak
  Cc: kunyi, openbmc, Paul.Vancil, neladk, gmills, viswha, rosedahl,
	vijaykhemka

> From:   "Matuszczak, Piotr" <piotr.matuszczak@intel.com>
> To:     'Justin Thaler' <thalerj@us.ibm.com>, "kunyi@google.com"
> <kunyi@google.com>, "vijaykhemka@fb.com" <vijaykhemka@fb.com>, "OpenBMC
> Maillist" <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>, "Paul.Vancil@dell.com"
> <Paul.Vancil@dell.com>, "neladk@microsoft.com" <neladk@microsoft.com>,
> "gmills@linux.vnet.ibm.com" <gmills@linux.vnet.ibm.com>, vishwa
> <vishwa@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> Cc:     Todd Rosedahl <rosedahl@us.ibm.com>
> Date:   10/01/2019 11:10 AM
> Subject:        [EXTERNAL] RE: Telemetry Streaming from OpenBMC
>

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late response. For now streaming shall be supported by the
> Redfish telemetry service. Every metric report can be configured to be
> pushed out as the redfish event. Currently this is work in progress.

Thanks for the response! I guess I'm still a bit confused about the
telemetry service in general. If I wanted to get an update on all metric
sensors at a rate of 1/s I think I should do the following at a high level.

1. Create a metric report. This report should defined against the
appropriate sensors, with a sample rate set to 1/s, and a duration of 1s?

2. Push the telemetry report to the BMC using RedFish.

3. Create a new SSE subscription.

This is at least my very rudimentary understanding on the subject. I was
hoping someone could add some clarity here, more specifically, how do I
get continual updates after setting up the subscription? I do apologize
as this isn't very clear to me, even after reading over the telemetry
reports, telemetry service documentation from the DMTF, and the
direction of this workgroup. I would greatly appreciate any help I can
get as well!

Thanks,
Justin Thaler

@ 2019-10-23  8:59   ` Matuszczak, Piotr
From: Matuszczak, Piotr @ 2019-10-23  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Thaler
  Cc: kunyi, openbmc, Paul.Vancil, neladk, gmills, viswha, rosedahl,
	vijaykhemka

>1. Create a metric report. This report should defined against the appropriate sensors, with a sample rate set to 1/s, and a duration of 1s?

Exactly. You just set the MetricReportDefinitionType to Periodic in the Metric Report Definition and proper RecurrenceInterval.

>2. Push the telemetry report to the BMC using RedFish.

Metric Report will be generated by the Monitoring Service automatically, after its definition through the Redfish. If you want to push it out as a Redfish event you should set the ReportActions property in the Metric Report Definition to "RedfishEvent".

>3. Create a new SSE subscription.

Yes, if you have metric report defined as above, you should be able to receive Redfish Events with metric reports as soon as this feature is implemented, because as far as I know, neither the Event Service and Telemetry Service is not implemented yet. Both designs are in review.

@ 2019-10-23  9:14     ` Matuszczak, Piotr
From: Matuszczak, Piotr @ 2019-10-23  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matuszczak, Piotr, Justin Thaler
  Cc: Paul.Vancil, openbmc, viswha, neladk, gmills, vijaykhemka, rosedahl

One more thing that I missed earlier. If you set up metric report and SSE subscription as it is described below, you will receive server-sent events with metric report updates at defined interval (in your example it will be every 1 second).

@ 2019-10-23 20:13       ` Justin Thaler
From: Justin Thaler @ 2019-10-23 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matuszczak, Piotr
  Cc: Paul.Vancil, openbmc, viswha, neladk, gmills, vijaykhemka, rosedahl

On 10/23/19 4:14 AM, Matuszczak, Piotr wrote:
> One more thing that I missed earlier. If you set up metric report and SSE subscription as it is described below, you will receive server-sent events with metric report updates at defined interval (in your example it will be every 1 second).

Thanks Piotr, this is very useful!
Justin Thaler