* [GSOC] Choosing a component
@ 2020-03-26 15:47 Rohit Sarkar
From: Rohit Sarkar @ 2020-03-26 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dragos.bogdan; +Cc: linux-iio

Hey Dragos,
I noticed that you have updated the GSOC IIO page and it mentions:
"
Create a Linux IIO driver for one of the Analog Devices, Inc.'s parts.
We are open for suggestions in identifying the exact component.
If there won’t be suggestions, or they don’t make sense,
we will propose one component to the chosen student
"

I was wondering how to go about choosing a component.
Also if anyone amongst the IIO community has any Analog Devices
components in mind for which they want a driver written I would love
look into that.
Suggestions welcome,

Thanks,
Rohit

* RE: [GSOC] Choosing a component
@ 2020-03-26 17:13 ` Bogdan, Dragos
From: Bogdan, Dragos @ 2020-03-26 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohit Sarkar; +Cc: linux-iio

The IIO community can also suggest an Analog Devices component. 😊

Rohit, anyway, since the student application period ends soon, you can just think of one component type (e.g., ADC, DAC, etc.), create your plan accordingly and submit your proposal.

Thanks,

@ 2020-03-26 20:44   ` Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2020-03-26 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bogdan, Dragos; +Cc: Rohit Sarkar, linux-iio

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 7:14 PM Bogdan, Dragos <Dragos.Bogdan@analog.com> wrote:

> The IIO community can also suggest an Analog Devices component.

Last month on StackOverflow shows a lot of proposals :-)
Just go with `i2c` tag and see what people are trying to enable (some
sensors have been mentioned several times in different QnA). Also
getting rid of MRAA/UPM is a good idea (moving them to libiio /
libgpiod and moving sensor drivers to kernel).
On top of that there are (plenty I think) projects on GitHub regarding
drivers in user space which, in my opinion, should be rather in
kernel.

Just my two cents.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

* Re: [GSOC] Choosing a component
@ 2020-03-26 20:47     ` Rohit Sarkar
From: Rohit Sarkar @ 2020-03-26 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Shevchenko; +Cc: Bogdan, Dragos, linux-iio

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:44:34PM +0200, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 7:14 PM Bogdan, Dragos <Dragos.Bogdan@analog.com> wrote:
> >
> > The IIO community can also suggest an Analog Devices component.
>
> Last month on StackOverflow shows a lot of proposals :-)
> Just go with `i2c` tag and see what people are trying to enable (some
> sensors have been mentioned several times in different QnA). Also
> getting rid of MRAA/UPM is a good idea (moving them to libiio /
> libgpiod and moving sensor drivers to kernel).
> On top of that there are (plenty I think) projects on GitHub regarding
> drivers in user space which, in my opinion, should be rather in
> kernel.
>
> Just my two cents.

Thanks Andy!
This helps a lot.

@ 2020-03-28  9:55   ` Rohit Sarkar
From: Rohit Sarkar @ 2020-03-28  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bogdan, Dragos; +Cc: linux-iio

Hey,
On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 05:13:24PM +0000, Bogdan, Dragos wrote:
> The IIO community can also suggest an Analog Devices component. 😊
>
> Rohit, anyway, since the student application period ends soon, you can just think of one component type (e.g., ADC, DAC, etc.), create your plan accordingly and submit your proposal.
After doing a search through ADI's website, I chose the accelerometers
ADXL35x series (ADXL355[1] and ADXL357[2]) as a component that I could
write a driver for, having verified that there are no preexisting drivers
for the same.  Hope this is a decent choice.

[1]: https://www.analog.com/en/products/adxl355.html
[2]: https://www.analog.com/en/products/adxl357.html

@ 2020-03-28 10:41     ` Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2020-03-28 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohit Sarkar; +Cc: Bogdan, Dragos, linux-iio

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 11:56 AM Rohit Sarkar <rohitsarkar5398@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 05:13:24PM +0000, Bogdan, Dragos wrote:

> > The IIO community can also suggest an Analog Devices component.
> >
> > Rohit, anyway, since the student application period ends soon, you can just think of one component type (e.g., ADC, DAC, etc.), create your plan accordingly and submit your proposal.
> After doing a search through ADI's website, I chose the accelerometers
> ADXL35x series (ADXL355[1] and ADXL357[2]) as a component that I could
> write a driver for, having verified that there are no preexisting drivers
> for the same.  Hope this is a decent choice.

Good choice, though one recommendation before you start.
Check carefully that these components really need a separate driver
(instead of extending existing one). In the kernel we have enough
examples of duplication of the drivers by various reasons.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko