* [phosphor-host-ipmid] Questions about IPMI event message
@ 2021-11-03  3:10 Chris Chen (TPI)
From: Chris Chen (TPI) @ 2021-11-03  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi all,

I sent an IPMI command for testing the event message feature, the command and response as below, looks the event has been sent.

======
$ ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.1.20 -C 17 -U root -P 0penBmc event 1
Sending SAMPLE event: Temperature - Upper Critical - Going High
Get SDR 0004 command failed: Invalid data field in request
Get SDR 0004 command failed: Invalid data field in request
Get SDR 0004 command failed: Invalid data field in request
Get SDR 0004 command failed: Invalid data field in request
Get SDR 0004 command failed: Invalid data field in request
   0 |  Pre-Init  |0000000000| Temperature #0x30 | Upper Critical going high | Asserted
======

Then, I checked the result on the platform, I am able to see the enevt has been added in the "/var/log/redfish" (of course I also can see it on WebUI), however, it doesn't appear in the "var/log/ipmi_sel" or the result of using "ipmitool sel elist".

======
root@hudsonbay-obmc:~# cat /var/log/redfish
1970-01-01T00:00:13.052207+00:00 OpenBMC.0.1.DCPowerOn,
1970-01-01T00:00:15.380591+00:00 OpenBMC.0.1.SELEntryAdded,2C0408666F00FFFF
1970-01-01T00:00:23.481564+00:00 OpenBMC.0.1.InventoryAdded,hudsonbay,Board,sssnnn-12312312
1970-01-01T00:00:32.281467+00:00 OpenBMC.0.1.SELEntryAdded,2C04218008F10C0A
1970-01-01T00:01:47.572079+00:00 OpenBMC.0.1.SELEntryAdded,2C04218008F00C0A
1970-01-01T00:03:42.089885+00:00 OpenBMC.0.1.SELEntryAdded,2C0401300109FFFF
root@hudsonbay-obmc:~#
root@hudsonbay-obmc:~#
root@hudsonbay-obmc:~# ipmitool sel elist
SEL has no entries
root@hudsonbay-obmc:~#
======

So, I have 2 questions for this and hope someone who had experience with this could share ideas with me, I'll appreciate it:

  1.  Why the event doesn't appear in the "var/log/ipmi_sel" or can't be seen by using "ipmitool sel elist"? I expected it should appear.
  2.  What does "Get SDR 0004 command failed: Invalid data field in request" mean?

Things to Note:

  1.  The version of OprnBMC codebase I used is 2.10-rc1.
  2.  The image I built included "intel-ipmi-oem", "phosphor-logging", "phosphor-sel-logger", "rsyslog" and "entity-manager".

Thank you.

Regards,
Chris Chen

Legal Disclaimer :
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential.
It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed
or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are on notice that any distribution of this message, in any form,
please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message!

* Re: [phosphor-host-ipmid] Questions about IPMI event message
@ 2021-11-03 14:06 ` Andrei Kartashev
From: Andrei Kartashev @ 2021-11-03 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Chen (TPI), openbmc

Hi Chris,

> So, I have 2 questions for this and hope someone who had experience
> with this could share ideas with me, I'll appreciate it:
>    1. Why the event doesn't appear in the "var/log/ipmi_sel" or can't
> be seen by using "ipmitool sel elist"? I expected it should appear.

Disclaimer: here and below I talk only about file-based implementation
for logs.

It is known limitation. First of all, you should aware that there are
two completely different logs: Redfish Log and SEL log. When an
internal sensor triggers threshold event, two different messages are
sent: one for redfish log and another to SEL.

The sel-logger currently designed to only handle threshold events from
internal sensors, thus it requires dbus path to the sensor as an
argument for IpmiSelAdd.
When you send external IPMI event/SEL add message, ipmi daemon doesn't
know how to handle it. Instead, intel-ipmi-oem, tries to parse the
event according to some rules and if it fails just adds this weird
"OpenBMC.0.1.SELEntryAdded,2C0401300109FFFF" to the redfish log, saying
"we got some ipmi event, but we don't know what is it".

I extended sel-logger with AddExt method, to store any random SEL entry
to /var/log/ipmi_sel, but this patches are for our internal Intel-BMC
fork and not applied for upstream version.
It is on my roadmap to update patches and submit them. If there is
demand for this work, I can try to prioritize it.

--
Best regards,
Andrei Kartashev

* 回覆: [phosphor-host-ipmid] Questions about IPMI event message
@ 2021-11-04  6:42   ` Chris Chen (TPI)
From: Chris Chen (TPI) @ 2021-11-04  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Kartashev, openbmc