From: "\"Peter Lojkin\" " <ia6432@inbox.ru>
To: "\"Oleg Drokin\" " <green@namesys.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.4.22-pre3 and reiserfs problem (not boot)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:06:23 +0400	[thread overview]

> > Jul 10 06:25:10 host kernel: journal-601, buffer write failed
>
> Well, the write to journal failed. Reiserfs panics in such an event as it does not
> know what to do in such a case (there are some works at SuSE by Jeff Mahoney to
> remount r/o if such an event happens).
yes, once i found the "buffer write failed" i knew it wasn't a random
reiserfs oops. just missed it first time, sorry.

and i think that close timming of oopses was caused by some cron job
started at this time, the one that does search through entire fs tree...

> Well, how about some i/o error messages from block device drivers?
>
> > in the logs we often get messages like:
> > Jul 11 14:25:59 host kernel: (scsi0:A:10:0): parity error detected in Data-out phase. SEQADDR(0x55) SCSIRATE(0xc2)
> > Jul 11 14:25:59 host kernel: ^INo terminal CRC packet recevied
>
> Hm, can that lead to i/o error propagated up to reiserfs? If yes,
> then thats' the problem.
sure if there were real errors, but with earlier kernels we get
this errors in logs but no problems or data loss. strange...

> Hm, I guess you need to stop the driver to propagate i/o errors upstream
> (perhaps find a recent change that started to do this).
> There is nothing to do from reiserfs perspective (except for better error handling,
> which will not do you anything good anyway).
well i cannot do a lot of reboots on this box, so i guess i just
try to move promise to another host with another scsi hba and see if
it works...

Big thanks for quick reply!