* Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-02-01 10:45 Wei Liu
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-02-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: wei.liu2

This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
woulk like to see in 4.7 so that people have an idea what is going on and
prioritise accordingly.

You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
working on.

= Timeline =

We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:

* Last posting date: March 18, 2016
* Hard code freeze: April 1, 2016
* RC1: TBD
* Release: June 3, 2016

Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
that wish to go into 4.7 must be posted no later than the last posting
date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
into next release.

RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.

= Projects =

== Hypervisor ==

*  Convert RTDS from time to event-driven model
  -  Meng Xu
  -  Tianyang Chen

=== x86 ===

*  CPUID handling improvement
  -  Andrew Cooper

*  VMWare tools support
  -  Don Slutz

*  xSplice, hypervisor hot-patching
  -  Konrad Wilk
  -  Ross Lagerwall

*  Porting Intel PState driver
  -  Wei Wang

*  HVMlite support
  -  Roger Pau Monne

*  Posted interrupt
  -  Wu, Feng

*  VMX TSC scaling support
  -  Haozhong Zhang

*  VT-d asynchronous flush issue
  -  Quan Xu

*  Memory protection-key support
  -  Huaitong Han

=== ARM ===

*  Guest save / restore support
  -  Ian Campbell

== Toolstack ==

*  vNVDIMM support
  -  Haozhong Zhang

*  Libxl PVSCSI support
  -  Olaf Hering

*  PV USB passthrough
  -  Chunyan Liu

*  HVM USB passthrough
  -  George Dunlap

*  QEMU based PVUSB backend
  -  Juergen Gross

*  Domain snapshot API
  -  Chunyan Liu

*  Fix hotplug script machinery and remove blktap
  -  George Dunlap

*  Basic xSplice tooling (see hypervisor item)
  -  Konrad Wilk

*  Load BIOS via toolstack
  -  Anthony Perard

*  Libxl depriv QEMU
  -  Ian Jackson

*  COLO
  -  Wen Congyang

== Documentation ==

*  Feature maturity lifecycle
  -  Lars Kurth

== Completed ==

*  Per-cpu reader-writer lock
  -  Malcolm Crossley

*  Make it easy to run xenstore in a domain
  -  Juergen Gross

*  Libxc support for migrating large PV domains
  -  Juergen Gross

*  Disentangle libxenctrl to stable libraries
  -  Ian Campbell

*  Use Kconfig to configure hypervisor components
  -  Doug Goldstein

*  vgic-v3
  -  Julien Grall

*  xsave/xrtors support
  -  Shuai Ruan

*  Toolstack-based soft reset
  -  Vitaly Kuznetsov

*  Libxc support for building large PV domains
  -  Juergen Gross

*  Run QEMU as non-root
  -  Stefano Stabellini

*  Intel CDP support
  -  He Chen

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-02-01 12:11 ` Jan Beulich
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan Beulich @ 2016-02-01 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2; +Cc: xen-devel, Shuai Ruan

>>> On 01.02.16 at 11:45, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> *  xsave/xrtors support
>   -  Shuai Ruan

As per
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03264.html
and even more importantly
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03271.html
plus the lack of feedback from the original contributor on almost
any issues with that code (see e.g. also the recent Xen boot
problems, which lead to
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03742.html
) I'm currently viewing this as a candidate for disabling prior to the
release, so that we (hopefully) won't end up with the same disaster
we had with the original enabling of xsave. I'll of course be more
than happy to be convinced that I'm completely off with the above
issues...

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-02-01 12:19   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-02-01 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel, wei.liu2, Shuai Ruan

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 05:11:19AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > *  xsave/xrtors support
> >   -  Shuai Ruan
>
> As per
> http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03264.html
> and even more importantly
> http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03271.html
> plus the lack of feedback from the original contributor on almost
> any issues with that code (see e.g. also the recent Xen boot
> problems, which lead to
> http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03742.html
> ) I'm currently viewing this as a candidate for disabling prior to the
> release, so that we (hopefully) won't end up with the same disaster
> we had with the original enabling of xsave. I'll of course be more
> than happy to be convinced that I'm completely off with the above
> issues...

FWIW it is near Chinese New Year so we probably won't hear from the
author any time soon.

I will remove it from "completed" section. We still have two months time
to revert those patches, provided they don't stay in the way of other
changes.

Wei.

@ 2016-02-02  7:38     ` Shuai Ruan
From: Shuai Ruan @ 2016-02-02  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel, Jan Beulich

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 12:19:23PM +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> > > *  xsave/xrtors support
> > >   -  Shuai Ruan
> >
> > As per
> > http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03264.html
> > and even more importantly
> > http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03271.html
> > plus the lack of feedback from the original contributor on almost
> > any issues with that code (see e.g. also the recent Xen boot
> > problems, which lead to
> > http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03742.html
> > ) I'm currently viewing this as a candidate for disabling prior to the
> > release, so that we (hopefully) won't end up with the same disaster
> > we had with the original enabling of xsave. I'll of course be more
> > than happy to be convinced that I'm completely off with the above
> > issues...
> >

> FWIW it is near Chinese New Year so we probably won't hear from the
> author any time soon.
>
> I will remove it from "completed" section. We still have two months time
> to revert those patches, provided they don't stay in the way of other
> changes.
hi Jan/Wei:
Really sorry for late response. I am away from mail-list a couple weeks
due to some personal issues. I will take my responsibility and try my
best to solve the remain issues about xsaves before Chinese New Year(leave on
2/5). I will continue work on that after the holiday (after 2/16).

Thanks
Shuai

@ 2016-02-03  8:55 ` Haozhong Zhang
From: Haozhong Zhang @ 2016-02-03  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On 02/01/16 10:45, Wei Liu wrote:
[...]
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
[...]
> === x86 ===
[...]
> *  VMX TSC scaling support
>   -  Haozhong Zhang

v4 patch series was sent out. Patch 1 - 3 were merged.

[...]

> == Toolstack ==
>
> *  vNVDIMM support
>   -  Haozhong Zhang

v1 patch series and a design doc were sent out. Let's see how much I
can get before freeze.

Thanks,
Haozhong

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-02-03  9:36 ` Han, Huaitong
From: Han, Huaitong @ 2016-02-03  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, wei.liu2

On Mon, 2016-02-01 at 10:45 +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for
> items you
> woulk like to see in 4.7 so that people have an idea what is going on
> and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature
> you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 18, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: April 1, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: June 3, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.7 must be posted no later than the last
> posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =
> *  Memory protection-key support
>   -  Huaitong Han
V8 (7 patches) has been sent out, 2 patches have already been merged, 3
of the remaining 5 patches have been Acked/Reviewed by Andrew/Jan.

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-03 12:22 ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2016-02-03 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, Feb 01, Wei Liu wrote:

> == Toolstack ==

> *  Libxl PVSCSI support
>   -  Olaf Hering

I will send a new variant later this week. Getting pvscsi into 4.7 will
most likely require much of your time for review, I hope you guys find
the time and energy to do that.

Olaf

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-03-02 15:07       ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-03-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu, Jan Beulich

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 02:43:57PM +0000, George Dunlap wrote:

> >> If this means "use RB trees for rangesets", I think this is already in.
> >
> > No, it's not. There was no point in committing that one without
> > the patch actually needing it.
>
> Oh, right -- my mistake then.
>
> But my real purpose in commenting was that "improve ioreq server
> performance" isn't really an accurate description; a better one might
> be, "allow ioreq server interface to support XenGT", which is what is
> really wanted.

I will update that item to the new name.

Wei.

@ 2016-03-02 14:43     ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2016-03-02 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

>> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
>>> *  Improve ioreq server performance
>>>   -  Yu Zhang
>>>   -  Paul Durrant
>>
>> If this means "use RB trees for rangesets", I think this is already in.
>
> No, it's not. There was no point in committing that one without
> the patch actually needing it.

Oh, right -- my mistake then.

But my real purpose in commenting was that "improve ioreq server
performance" isn't really an accurate description; a better one might
be, "allow ioreq server interface to support XenGT", which is what is
really wanted.

 -George

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-02 14:40 ` Xu, Quan
From: Xu, Quan @ 2016-03-02 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On February 29, 2016 at 7:17pm, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:

> *  VT-d asynchronous flush issue
>   -  Quan Xu

V6 has been sent out. Thanks.

Quan

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-03-02 14:29         ` Paul Durrant
From: Paul Durrant @ 2016-03-02 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> No, it's not. There was no point in committing that one without
> >> the patch actually needing it.
> >>

> > Using RB trees vs. a linear walk is still an improvement so I see no harm in
> > committing it.
>
> But the individual nodes (and hence the overall resource use)
> grow, and whether that is worth the presumably tiny win on
> lookups I'm not at all certain.

Ok. Your call but I would have thought the increased resource use was small enough to not worry about.. it must be in the order of kilobytes, if that.

  Paul

@ 2016-03-02 14:20       ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2016-03-02 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Durrant; +Cc: xen-devel, George Dunlap, Wei Liu

@ 2016-03-02 14:07     ` Paul Durrant
From: Paul Durrant @ 2016-03-02 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

@ 2016-03-02 13:32   ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2016-03-02 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

>>> On 02.03.16 at 12:38, <dunlapg@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
>> *  Improve ioreq server performance
>>   -  Yu Zhang
>>   -  Paul Durrant
>
> If this means "use RB trees for rangesets", I think this is already in.

No, it's not. There was no point in committing that one without
the patch actually needing it.

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-02 11:38 ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2016-03-02 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> NOTE: We are one month away from freeze. Features that wish to be in 4.7 must
> be posted to xen-devel by March 18.
>
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> woulk like to see in 4.7 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 18, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: April 1, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: June 3, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.7 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  Convert RTDS from time to event-driven model
>   -  Meng Xu
>   -  Tianyang Chen
>
> === x86 ===
>
> *  Improve ioreq server performance
>   -  Yu Zhang
>   -  Paul Durrant

If this means "use RB trees for rangesets", I think this is already in.

If this means, "allow ioreq servers to track enough distinct pages to
make XenGT useable", this is somewhat iffy.

> *  Posted interrupt
>   -  Wu, Feng

I think this has been all acked -- should go in soon I think.

> *  Memory protection-key support
>   -  Huaitong Han

This has been checked in.

> *  PV USB passthrough
>   -  Chunyan Liu

This is looking pretty good -- hopefully ready to go in this week or next.

> *  HVM USB passthrough
>   -  George Dunlap

This is iffy, but I"ll give it a go. :-)

> *  Fix hotplug script machinery and remove blktap
>   -  George Dunlap

I've sent some patches that get partially there -- there's someone
Roger knows on the FreeBSD list who can hopefully pick them up.

But fully getting rid of blktap without regressions will have to wait
until we have local-attach for qemu, which I doubt will happen before
4.7.

 -George

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-02  7:40 ` Shuai Ruan
From: Shuai Ruan @ 2016-03-02  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:17:05AM +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> *  xsave/xrtors support
hi, Wei
       I will send three bugs fix patches. And some clean up patches.
The patch will send on time.

> Xen-devel@lists.xen.org
> http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-02  5:31 ` Haozhong Zhang
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Haozhong Zhang @ 2016-03-02  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On 02/29/16 11:17, Wei Liu wrote:
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> === x86 ===
>
> *  VMX TSC scaling support
>   -  Haozhong Zhang

now in staging branch

> == Toolstack ==
>
> *  vNVDIMM support
>   -  Haozhong Zhang

design still in discussion

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-02  3:13 ` Wu, Feng
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Wu, Feng @ 2016-03-02  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel; +Cc: Wu, Feng, Wang, Yong Y

> *  Posted interrupt
>   -  Wu, Feng

Already in staging branch, thanks!

Thanks,
Feng

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-02  1:26 ` Han, Huaitong
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Han, Huaitong @ 2016-03-02  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, 2016-02-29 at 11:17 +0000, Wei Liu wrote:

> *  Memory protection-key support
>   -  Huaitong Han
The patches have been merged into staging branch.

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-03-01 22:01   ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-03-01 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meng Xu, Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, 2016-02-29 at 08:27 -0500, Meng Xu wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 6:17 AM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> >
> > == Hypervisor ==
> >
> > *  Convert RTDS from time to event-driven model
> >   -  Meng Xu
> >   -  Tianyang Chen
>
> We will try our best to meet this release cycle, although we are not
> very sure if we can definitely meet the deadline. The patch is in a
> correct direction and is in a good state, though.
>
> Dario, what do you think? If we move faster this week in resolving
> the
> comments, is there any chance that we could potentially finish it?

I think it's possible to make it, as the patch is very close, and I'll
do my best to help.

But, as everyone, I've got other commitments, so guaranteeing anything
is difficult.

I'd like for it to be there, but if it won't, it will just be for the
next release. :-)

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-03-01 10:44   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-03-01 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:35:56AM -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:17:05AM +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> > NOTE: We are one month away from freeze. Features that wish to be in 4.7 must
> > be posted to xen-devel by March 18.
> >
> > This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> > woulk like to see in 4.7 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> > prioritise accordingly.
> >
> > You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> > working on.
> >
> > = Timeline =
> >
> > We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> > year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:
> >
> > * Last posting date: March 18, 2016
>
> Ugh.

For avoidance of doubt, this date is meant for new features that have
never been posted before.

Wei.

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-02-29 15:35 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-02-29 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:17:05AM +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> NOTE: We are one month away from freeze. Features that wish to be in 4.7 must
> be posted to xen-devel by March 18.
>
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> woulk like to see in 4.7 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 18, 2016

Ugh.
> * Hard code freeze: April 1, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: June 3, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.7 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  Convert RTDS from time to event-driven model
>   -  Meng Xu
>   -  Tianyang Chen
>
> === x86 ===
>
> *  Improve ioreq server performance
>   -  Yu Zhang
>   -  Paul Durrant
>
> *  xsave/xrtors support
>   -  Shuai Ruan
>
> *  CPUID handling improvement
>   -  Andrew Cooper
>
> *  VMWare tools support
>   -  Don Slutz
>
> *  xSplice, hypervisor hot-patching
>   -  Konrad Wilk
>   -  Ross Lagerwall

Moving at high speed. Should have an v4 within this week which will have all
the reviewes addressed.

> *  Basic xSplice tooling (see hypervisor item)
>   -  Konrad Wilk

Ditto. That tool is going to be part of the 30+ patchset.

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-02-29 13:27 ` Meng Xu
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Meng Xu @ 2016-02-29 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 6:17 AM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> NOTE: We are one month away from freeze. Features that wish to be in 4.7 must
> be posted to xen-devel by March 18.
>
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> woulk like to see in 4.7 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 18, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: April 1, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: June 3, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.7 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  Convert RTDS from time to event-driven model
>   -  Meng Xu
>   -  Tianyang Chen

We will try our best to meet this release cycle, although we are not
very sure if we can definitely meet the deadline. The patch is in a
correct direction and is in a good state, though.

Dario, what do you think? If we move faster this week in resolving the
comments, is there any chance that we could potentially finish it?

Thanks,

Meng

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-02-29 11:50   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-02-29 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel, wei.liu2

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 04:44:10AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > *  Guest save / restore support
> >   -  Ian Campbell
>
> Not very likely I would say.
>
> Also, looking at the amount of outstanding items, it seems unlikely
> that we'll get even half of them in within the next 2.5 weeks.

That is fine. Software engineers are often bad at estimating workload.
The ones that miss this cycle will be automatically moved to next cycle.

Wei.

> Jan

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-02-29 11:44 ` Jan Beulich
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan Beulich @ 2016-02-29 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2; +Cc: xen-devel

>>> On 29.02.16 at 12:17, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> *  Guest save / restore support
>   -  Ian Campbell

Not very likely I would say.

Also, looking at the amount of outstanding items, it seems unlikely
that we'll get even half of them in within the next 2.5 weeks.

Jan

* Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-02-29 11:17 Wei Liu
                   ` (8 more replies)
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-02-29 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: wei.liu2

[...]

*  ACPI for ARM64
  -  Shannon Zhao

[...]

*  spinlock queued read-write locks
  -  Jennifer Herbert

@ 2016-01-07 11:52     ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2016-01-07 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper, Haozhong Zhang; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

>>> On 07.01.16 at 11:21, <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com> wrote:
> On 07/01/16 05:41, Haozhong Zhang wrote:
>> Hi Wei,
>>
>> On 01/04/16 10:15, Wei Liu wrote:
>> [...]
>>> = Projects =
>>>
>>> == Hypervisor ==
>> [...]
>>> === x86 ===
>> [...]
>>> == Toolstack ==
>>   *  vNVDIMM support
>>     -  Haozhong Zhang
>>
>> This is another item I'm working on and would like to see in 4.7. Not
>> quite sure if it belongs to only toolstack, because it also contains
>> patches in hypervisor/x86 to enable new instructions, but the primary
>> part of v1 patch series is in toolstack.
>
> The hypervisor side is small, basically mechanical, and already ready IMO.

To be honest, I'm not convinced: I didn't look at the patches yet,
but with memory management being the hypervisor's job I'm not
sure we can get away with those mechanical changes alone.

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-01-07 10:21   ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2016-01-07 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haozhong Zhang, Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On 07/01/16 05:41, Haozhong Zhang wrote:
> Hi Wei,
>
> On 01/04/16 10:15, Wei Liu wrote:
> [...]
>> = Projects =
>>
>> == Hypervisor ==
> [...]
>> === x86 ===
> [...]
>> == Toolstack ==
>   *  vNVDIMM support
>     -  Haozhong Zhang
>
> This is another item I'm working on and would like to see in 4.7. Not
> quite sure if it belongs to only toolstack, because it also contains
> patches in hypervisor/x86 to enable new instructions, but the primary
> part of v1 patch series is in toolstack.

The hypervisor side is small, basically mechanical, and already ready IMO.

The toolstacks side is going to be the interesting^Wcomplicated part of
this.  I would class this as a toolstack project at this point.

~Andrew

@ 2016-01-07  5:41 ` Haozhong Zhang
From: Haozhong Zhang @ 2016-01-07  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Wei,

On 01/04/16 10:15, Wei Liu wrote:
[...]
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
[...]
> === x86 ===
[...]

@ 2016-01-06 13:52   ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2016-01-06 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chun Yan Liu; +Cc: xen-devel, wei.liu2

Chun Yan (and others),

please remember to limit quoting especially (but not limited to)
when replying to Development Update mails: Commonly (like in
your case) people really just reply to a single or very few items:

>> *  PV USB passthrough
>>   -  Chunyan Liu
>
> Reviewed by George Dunlap.
> V12:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-12/msg02697.html
>
>[...]
>> *  Domain snapshot API
>>   -  Chunyan Liu
>
> Doc:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg00884.html
>
> RFC implementation, has many limitations, call for comments:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg02384.html

Hence the writer of the response can save everyone's time by
making sure readers don't have to hunt/scroll for that one item
through the entire quoted original mail.

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-01-05 16:03     ` Meng Xu
From: Meng Xu @ 2016-01-05 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:34 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 10:30:53PM +0800, Meng Xu wrote:
>> Hi Wei,
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
>> > This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
>> > woulk like to see in 4.7 so that people have an idea what is going on and
>> > prioritise accordingly.
>> >
>> > You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
>> > working on.
>> >
>> > = Timeline =
>> >
>> > We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
>> > year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:
>> >
>> > * Last posting date: March 18, 2016
>> > * Hard code freeze: April 1, 2016
>> > * RC1: TBD
>> > * Release: June 3, 2016
>> >
>> > Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
>> > that wish to go into 4.7 must be posted no later than the last posting
>> > date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
>> > into next release.
>> >
>> > RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>> >
>> > = Projects =
>> >
>> > == Hypervisor ==
>> >
>> > *  Use Kconfig to configure hypervisor components
>> >   -  Doug Goldstein
>> >
>> > === x86 ===
>>
>> Tianyang and I are working on improving the RTDS scheduler.
>> Could you add the following to the Xen 4.7 development update?
>>
>> * Convert RTDS from time to event driven model
>>    - Tianyang Chen
>>    - Meng Xu
>>

> You placed this under x86 section, but I suspect it should be under
> "Hypervisor" section (i.e. it's generic) ?

Ah, my fault. :-(
Yes, it should be under "Hypervisor" section because it's generic.

Thank you so much for your correction!

Best,

Meng

-----------
Meng Xu
PhD Student in Computer and Information Science
University of Pennsylvania
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~mengxu/

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-01-05 14:34   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-01-05 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meng Xu; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

@ 2016-01-05 14:30 ` Meng Xu
From: Meng Xu @ 2016-01-05 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

@ 2016-01-05 14:15 ` Haozhong Zhang
From: Haozhong Zhang @ 2016-01-05 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On 01/04/16 10:15, Wei Liu wrote:
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> woulk like to see in 4.7 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 18, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: April 1, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: June 3, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.7 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  VMX TSC scaling support
>   -  Haozhong Zhang

v3 patch series was sent out and is currently in review.

Thanks,
Haozhong

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-01-05  6:57 ` Chun Yan Liu
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chun Yan Liu @ 2016-01-05  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, xen-devel

> [...]
>   -  Juergen Gross
>
> *  Libxc support for migrating large PV domains
>   -  Juergen Gross
>
> *  Disentangle libxenctrl to stable libraries
>   -  Ian Campbell
>
> *  Libxl PVSCSI support
>   -  Olaf Hering
>
> *  PV USB passthrough
>   -  Chunyan Liu

Reviewed by George Dunlap.
V12:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-12/msg02697.html

> *  HVM USB passthrough
>   -  George Dunlap
>
> *  QEMU based PVUSB backend
>   -  Juergen Gross
>
> *  Domain snapshot API
>   -  Chunyan Liu

Doc:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg00884.html

RFC implementation, has many limitations, call for comments:

Chunyan

> *  Fix hotplug script machinery and remove blktap
>   -  George Dunlap
>
> *  Basic xSplice tooling (see hypervisor item)
>   -  Konrad Wilk
>
> *  Load BIOS via toolstack
>   -  Anthony Perard
>
> *  Libxl depriv QEMU
>   -  Ian Jackson
>
> *  COLO
>   -  Wen Congyang
>
> == Documentation ==
>
> *  Feature maturity lifecycle
>   -  Lars Kurth
>
> == Completed ==
>
> *  vgic-v3
>   -  Julien Grall
>
> *  xsave/xrtors support
>   -  Shuai Ruan
>
> *  Toolstack-based soft reset
>   -  Vitaly Kuznetsov
>
> *  Libxc support for building large PV domains
>   -  Juergen Gross
>
> *  Run QEMU as non-root
>   -  Stefano Stabellini
>
> *  Intel CDP support
>   -  He Chen

* Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2016-01-04 10:15 Wei Liu
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-01-04 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: wei.liu2

@ 2015-12-01 13:32     ` Yong Wang
From: Yong Wang @ 2015-12-01 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, wei.liu2, Han, Huaitong

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 11:54:54AM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Wei,
> and others.
>
> > On 25 Nov 2015, at 02:17, Han, Huaitong <huaitong.han@intel.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> = Projects =
> >
> > == Hypervisor ==
> > === x86 ===
> > *Memory protection keys for user pages
> > -Huaitong Han
>
> one thing I struggle with (and I am probably not the only one), is that it is not always easy do find out what a specific patch does in the Development Update mails. Obviously this is not an issue at the beginning of the cycle, but it can become one when we start to put the release notes and PR together. In this particular case, the use-case for the feature was described as a one-liner else-where and I am wondering, whether we should allow tracking the use/use-case/... in these mails.
>
> Aka, in this case, using the information from the thread where the use-case was discussed, will give us something like ...
>
> == Hypervisor ==
> === x86 ===
> * Memory protection keys for user pages
>   (allows threads to cooperatively prevent themselves from "trampling" on each other, which increases robustness and is useful for debugging)
> - Huaitong Han
>
> Part of the reason, why I am also looking at this, is because of the Feature Lifecycle Management (see http://xen.markmail.org/message/uu3vifjmv2qylds4), where we still have outstanding issues on documenting completed features. It seems to me that there is an overlap between the Development Update mails, and recording the state of an added feature in a central file. Obviously, if a new feature was committed to xen.git, we would then need to add an entry to the still to be defined central file describing it. And it would probably make sense to keep the info in Development Update mails as close as possible to what is in the still to be defined file.
>
> Any thoughts?

Isn't such information typically available in patch header (or patch 0 whatever you call it)? As developers start posting patches of the particular feature, can release manager add such info to the development update email if this can make Lars' life easier when he needs to compile such info for PR;-)

Thanks
-Yong

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2015-12-01 12:46         ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-12-01 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel, Wei Liu, Han, Huaitong

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 12:42:17PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 12:35 +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> >
> > As for PR purpose it would be easy during freeze to send out emails to
> > people to have them write a small paragraph. They are also welcome to
> > provide such information to this email -- I shall say that in preamble.
>
> Would "git diff RELEASE-4.6.0 RELEASE-4.7.0" -- docs/features" be
> sufficient for PR purposes? (assuming we actually add stuff there...)

That's of course also doable (assuming we get FML into 4.7)

@ 2015-12-01 12:42       ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-12-01 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, Han, Huaitong

@ 2015-12-01 12:35     ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-12-01 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, wei.liu2, Han, Huaitong

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 11:54:54AM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Wei, and others.
>
> > On 25 Nov 2015, at 02:17, Han, Huaitong <huaitong.han@intel.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> = Projects =
> >
> > == Hypervisor == === x86 === *Memory protection keys for user pages
> > -Huaitong Han
>
> one thing I struggle with (and I am probably not the only one), is
> that it is not always easy do find out what a specific patch does in
> the Development Update mails. Obviously this is not an issue at the
> beginning of the cycle, but it can become one when we start to put the
> release notes and PR together. In this particular case, the use-case
> for the feature was described as a one-liner else-where and I am
> wondering, whether we should allow tracking the use/use-case/... in
> these mails.
>
> Aka, in this case, using the information from the thread where the
> use-case was discussed, will give us something like ...
>
> == Hypervisor == === x86 === * Memory protection keys for user pages
> (allows threads to cooperatively prevent themselves from "trampling"
> on each other, which increases robustness and is useful for debugging)
> - Huaitong Han
>
> Part of the reason, why I am also looking at this, is because of the
> Feature Lifecycle Management (see
> http://xen.markmail.org/message/uu3vifjmv2qylds4), where we still have
> outstanding issues on documenting completed features. It seems to me
> that there is an overlap between the Development Update mails, and
> recording the state of an added feature in a central file. Obviously,
> if a new feature was committed to xen.git, we would then need to add
> an entry to the still to be defined central file describing it. And it
> would probably make sense to keep the info in Development Update mails
> as close as possible to what is in the still to be defined file.

I can't think of how you would merge such document and this email as a
whole. Most things in this mail are unfinished so they haven't entered
FML. If there is ever overlapped, that is the "completed" section of
this mail -- it makes sense to keep that section close to the in-tree
document. But on the flip side we don't need two places for the same
thing so I would just remove the completed section all together and
refer to the in-tree document.

@ 2015-12-01 11:54   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-12-01 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2; +Cc: xen-devel, Han, Huaitong

@ 2015-12-01 10:34 Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-12-01 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: wei.liu2

[...]

  -  Yang Hongyang

@ 2015-11-25  2:17 ` Han, Huaitong
From: Han, Huaitong @ 2015-11-25  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, 2015-11-09 at 16:15 +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 18, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: April 1, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: July 1, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.7 must be posted no later than the last
> posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =

== Hypervisor ==
=== x86 ===
*Memory protection keys for user pages
 -Huaitong Han

I want to see it in 4.7, I have sent the 1st version patchset for
review, and continue working on it.

Thanks
Huaitong

@ 2015-11-11 14:36 ` Haozhong Zhang
From: Haozhong Zhang @ 2015-11-11 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On 11/09/15 16:15, Wei Liu wrote:
[...]
> *  VMX TSC scaling support
>   -  Haozhong Zhang

I'm working on this feature and would like to see it in 4.7

Thanks,
Haozhong

[...]

@ 2015-11-11 14:24 ` Anthony PERARD
From: Anthony PERARD @ 2015-11-11 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 04:15:45PM +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> Please reply for items you woulk like to see in 4.7 so
> that people have an idea what is going on and prioritise accordingly.

Not that I want to see it in 4.7, but I'm working on:

== Hypervisor ==
=== x86 ===
* HVM x86 deprivileged mode

Anthony PERARD

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2015-11-10  4:28 ` Juergen Gross
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Juergen Gross @ 2015-11-10  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On 09.11.2015 17:15, Wei Liu wrote:
> I accidentally deleted my old script, so I take the chance to change
> the tracking email a bit. Now this email only tracks big items for
> xen.git tree. Please reply for items you woulk like to see in 4.7 so
> that people have an idea what is going on and prioritise accordingly.
>

> = Projects =
>
> == Toolstack ==
>
> *  Libxc support for building large PV domains
>    -  Juergen Gross

Could you make that "... for building and migrating ..." please?

> *  PV USB passthrough
>    -  Chunyan Liu
>
> *  HVM USB passthrough
>    -  George Dunlap

*  QEMU based pvUSB backend
    -  Juergen Gross

Juergen

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2015-11-10  1:08 ` Xu, Quan
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Xu, Quan @ 2015-11-10  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel; +Cc: Xu, Quan

On 10.11.2015 at 12:16, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> *  VT-d asynchronous flush issue
>   -  Tian, Kevin

 Wei, I will send out patch set for it.

-Quan

* Re: Xen 4.7 Development Update
@ 2015-11-09 16:49 ` Wei Liu
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-11-09 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: wei.liu2

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 04:15:45PM +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> I accidentally deleted my old script, so I take the chance to change
> the tracking email a bit. Now this email only tracks big items for
> xen.git tree. Please reply for items you woulk like to see in 4.7 so
> that people have an idea what is going on and prioritise accordingly.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.7 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 18, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: April 1, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: July 1, 2016

There is a mistake. It should be June 3 2016. That's around 2 months
after freeze.

I will fix this.

Wei.

* Xen 4.7 Development Update