On 22 Feb 2018, at 16:19, Thomas Schoebel-Theuer wrote: > > No need for a deep understanding of the theory of the memory fragmentation problem. > > Also no need for adding anything to the boot commandline. Fragmentation will typically occur only after some days or weeks or months of operation, at least in all of the practical cases I have personally seen at 1&1 datacenters and their workloads. > > Please notice that fragmentation can be a very serious problem for operations if you are hurt by it. It can seriously harm your business. And it is _extremely_ specific to the actual workload, and to the hardware / chipset / etc. This is addressed by the above method of determining the right values from _actual_ operations (not from speculation) and then memoizing them. > > The attached patchset tries to be very simple, but in my practical experience it is a very effective practical solution. > > When requested, I can post the mathematical theory behind the patch, or I could give a presentation at some of the next conferences if I would be invited (or better give a practical explanation instead). But probably nobody on these lists wants to deal with any theories. Hi Thomas, I am very interested in the theory behind your patch. Do you mind sharing it? Is there any required math background before reading it? Is there any related papers/articles I could also read? Thanks. -- Best Regards Yan Zi