From: "Wang, Yong Y" <yong.y.wang@intel.com>
To: Chris Bagwell <chris@cnpbagwell.com>,
	Corentin Chary <corentin.chary@gmail.com>
Cc: "acpi4asus-user@lists.sourceforge.net"
	<acpi4asus-user@lists.sourceforge.net>,
	"platform-driver-x86@vger.kernel.org"
	<platform-driver-x86@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: [Acpi4asus-user] 1005PE's and backlight controls
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:34:19 +0800	[thread overview]

That is correct. Eeepc-wmi does not work on 1005PE at this moment. That is because
the ACPI BIOS of 1005PE has not fully implemented all the necessary WMI interfaces yet.
If you dump the 1005PE BIOS using acpidump, you will find that many control methods
end up calling a dummy method. We are following up this issue with ASUS and hopefully
they will fix it in later BIOS updates. Current eeepc-wmi driver has been tested on Eee PC
1008HA.

> I tried no acpi_osi (same as "WIndows 2009" I guess),
> acpi_osi="!Windows 2009", and acpi_osi="Linux"... all without
> specifying acpi_backlight=vendor.  They all had the same behaviour.
> The later two options allow eeepc-laptop to load and it always gives
> message about ACPI controlling backlight.
>
> You can see bad behaviour easiest by using Gnome's Preferences->Power
> Management and controlling dimmer.  Sliding between 0% and 100% gives
> seemingly random behaviour.  Anything software based acts bad.
>
> Since ACPI did seem to be controlling backlight when I didn't specify
> an acpi_osi, I suspect that means eeepc-wmi's logic to disable
> backlight support would be invoked for 1005PE's.

Yes, eeepc-wmi will be loaded if acpi_osi is not specified. And if you don't specify
acpi_backlight=vendor, the generic ACPI video driver will control everything.

Thanks
-Yong