* QEMU hosting
@ 2021-01-05 14:21 Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2021-01-05 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fosshost; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi Thomas,
In November you emailed qemu-devel asking if the QEMU project was
interested in exploring hosting with Fosshost.org. I think my reply
may have gotten lost so I wanted to check if you have time to discuss
this again.

The main hosting need that QEMU has is for continuous integration
system runners. We are particularly interested in non-x86/non-Linux
build machines and a dedicated server for reproducible performance
tests. Just today there was discussion on #qemu IRC about how to go
about adding a macOS build machine, for example.

It would be great to find out more about Fosshost.org and whether we
can work together.

Thanks,
Stefan

* Re: QEMU hosting
@ 2021-01-05 18:55 ` Fosshost
From: Fosshost @ 2021-01-05 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi Stefan

Thank you for your email.

  1.  We do not offer MacOS hosting
  2.  We can provide virtual machines with full KVM virt on x86 architecture and soon arm64 v8
  3.  We do not provide dedicated servers.

If you would like to apply, you can do so at https://fosshost.org/apply

Feel free to join our IRC channel on freenode #fosshost if you have any questions regarding our work and service

Kind regards,
Thomas
Fosshost

________________________________

@ 2021-02-10 14:28   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2021-02-10 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fosshost; +Cc: qemu-devel, Cleber Rosa

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:55 PM Fosshost <admin@fosshost.org> wrote:

> If you would like to apply, you can do so at https://fosshost.org/apply
>
> Feel free to join our IRC channel on freenode #fosshost if you have any questions regarding our work and service

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the reply! I have forwarded the information to Cleber Rosa,
who is working on QEMU's CI system.

Stefan

* Re: QEMU hosting
@ 2021-02-10 15:15     ` Cleber Rosa
From: Cleber Rosa @ 2021-02-10 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: Fosshost, qemu-devel, Cleber Rosa

From: Fosshost @ 2021-02-11 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cleber Rosa, Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, Cleber Rosa

Hi Cleber

Nested KVM is not currently supported, apologies.

We are looking to change this in the future.

We use KVM to power the VMs (qemu).

Kind regards,
Thomas Markey
Chief Executive & Founder
Fosshost.org

Tel: +44 (0) 208 154 4278

I've made an application for one x86 virtual machine on behalf of the QEMU
project.  It's not clear to me if the VMs, in addition to being powered by
KVM according to the docs, if they offer (nested) KVM.

That would be an improvement from what we get from the GitLab shared runners.

Thomas,

Would you be able to tell if nested KVM is available for the x86 VMs?

Thanks,
- Cleber.

> > Feel free to join our IRC channel on freenode #fosshost if you have any
> > questions regarding our work and service
>
> Hi Thomas,
> Thanks for the reply! I have forwarded the information to Cleber Rosa,
> who is working on QEMU's CI system.
>
> Stefan

* Re: QEMU hosting
@ 2021-02-22 15:56   ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-02-22 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fosshost, Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi Thomas and Stefan,

On 1/5/21 7:55 PM, Fosshost wrote:
> Hi Stefan
>
> Thank you for your email.
>
>  1. We do not offer MacOS hosting
>  2. We can provide virtual machines with full KVM virt on x86
>     architecture and soon arm64 v8
>  3. We do not provide dedicated servers.

Would it be possible to have a dedicated VM for a git LFS server [*]?

If so, what storage is usable? Are there network traffic limits?

Thanks,

Phil.

[*] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/topics/git/lfs/

* Re: QEMU hosting
@ 2021-02-22 16:07     ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-02-22 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fosshost, Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 2/22/21 4:56 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> Hi Thomas and Stefan,
>
> On 1/5/21 7:55 PM, Fosshost wrote:
>> Hi Stefan
>>
>> Thank you for your email.
>>
>>  1. We do not offer MacOS hosting
>>  2. We can provide virtual machines with full KVM virt on x86
>>     architecture and soon arm64 v8
>>  3. We do not provide dedicated servers.
>
> Would it be possible to have a dedicated VM for a git LFS server [*]?

Just noticed the Mirrors-as-a-Service option "(available for package
mirrors, operating systems, repositories, documentation, static assets,
etc)":

https://docs.fosshost.org/en/home/getting-started#production-services
https://docs.fosshost.org/en/home/mirrors-as-a-service

> If so, what storage is usable? Are there network traffic limits?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
>
> [*] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/topics/git/lfs/

* Re: QEMU hosting
@ 2021-02-22 16:11       ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-02-22 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennée, Thomas Huth; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, Fosshost, qemu-devel

On 2/22/21 5:07 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> On 2/22/21 4:56 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>> Hi Thomas and Stefan,
>>
>> On 1/5/21 7:55 PM, Fosshost wrote:
>>> Hi Stefan
>>>
>>> Thank you for your email.
>>>
>>>  1. We do not offer MacOS hosting
>>>  2. We can provide virtual machines with full KVM virt on x86
>>>     architecture and soon arm64 v8

And from https://fosshost.org/about:
"We support most operating systems including CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu,
ArchLinux and FreeBSD and custom OS."

Eventually we could add a pair of FreeBSD runners to our Gitlab CI?
https://docs.gitlab.com/runner/install/freebsd.html

>>>  3. We do not provide dedicated servers.
>>
>> Would it be possible to have a dedicated VM for a git LFS server [*]?
>
> Just noticed the Mirrors-as-a-Service option "(available for package
> mirrors, operating systems, repositories, documentation, static assets,
> etc)":
>
> https://docs.fosshost.org/en/home/getting-started#production-services
> https://docs.fosshost.org/en/home/mirrors-as-a-service
>
>> If so, what storage is usable? Are there network traffic limits?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.
>>
>> [*] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/topics/git/lfs/

* Re: QEMU hosting
@ 2021-02-23 11:41         ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-02-23 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennée, Thomas Huth, Fosshost
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel, Cleber Rosa

Updating this thread for the list, I have been told that
Cleber is looking at all these options for mainstream CI,
and is already in contact with fosshost.org.

I'll let him follow these ideas.

Regards,

Phil.

* Re: QEMU hosting
@ 2021-06-20 16:14           ` Thomas Markey
From: Thomas Markey @ 2021-06-20 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, Alex Bennée, Thomas Huth
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel, Cleber Rosa

Dear all

Would it be possible, may I ask, for the QEMU website to be updated to show that Fosshost is supporting the project?

The fosshost logo with a link back to https://fosshost.org will be more than sufficient, or just a link in footer / sponsor's page (if you have one).

In addition, we're currently experiencing significant growth and are looking at the more established/larger projects we work with, to understand whether there may be an opportunity for financial donation.  In short, we need to take on full time members of staff in order to run our service.  Your time and attention in this would be greatly appreciated if you could afford it to us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Thomas Markey
Chief Executive & Founder

To go further, together.

[cid:7890ea8e-31b1-4b77-bfd7-d3e2f8270a17]

Tel: +44 (0) 208 154 4278

Updating this thread for the list, I have been told that
Cleber is looking at all these options for mainstream CI,
and is already in contact with fosshost.org.

I'll let him follow these ideas.

Regards,

Phil.

On 2/22/21 5:11 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> On 2/22/21 5:07 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>> On 2/22/21 4:56 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>>> Hi Thomas and Stefan,

> And from https://fosshost.org/about:
> "We support most operating systems including CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu,
> ArchLinux and FreeBSD and custom OS."
>
> Eventually we could add a pair of FreeBSD runners to our Gitlab CI?
> https://docs.gitlab.com/runner/install/freebsd.html

>>> Would it be possible to have a dedicated VM for a git LFS server [*]?
>>
>> Just noticed the Mirrors-as-a-Service option "(available for package
>> mirrors, operating systems, repositories, documentation, static assets,
>> etc)":
>>
>> https://docs.fosshost.org/en/home/getting-started#production-services
>> https://docs.fosshost.org/en/home/mirrors-as-a-service
>>
>>> If so, what storage is usable? Are there network traffic limits?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Phil.
>>>
>>> [*] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/topics/git/lfs/

[-- Attachment #2: Outlook-pktnknbp.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 24946 bytes --]

* Re: QEMU hosting
@ 2021-06-28 21:33             ` Cleber Rosa
From: Cleber Rosa @ 2021-06-28 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Markey, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,