From: "Liu, Rong L" <rong.l.liu@intel.com>
To: Dmytro Maluka <dmy@semihalf.com>, "Christopherson,,
Cc: Auger Eric <eric.auger@redhat.com>,
Subject: RE: Add vfio-platform support for ONESHOT irq forwarding?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 16:02:41 +0000	[thread overview]

Interesting...  I initially thought that kvm doesn't "trap" on ioapic's mmio
write.  However, I just traced kvm/ioapic.c and it turns out
ioapic_write_indirect() was called many times.   Does trapping on ioapic's mmio
write cause vmexit on edge-triggered interrupt exit?  It seems the case because
IOREGSEL and IOWIN of IOAPIC are memory mapped but not the redirection entry
register for each IRQ (that is why the name indirect_write), in order to unmask
redirection entry register on the exit of each interrupt (edge-triggered or
level-triggered), kernel needs to write to IORESEL, which means vmexit if kvm
traps on ioapic's mmio write.  However, for pass-thru device which uses
edge-triggered interrupt (handled by vfio or something similar),  interrupt
(pIRQ) is enabled by vfio and it seems unnecessary to cause a vmexit when guest
updates virtual ioapic.  I think the situation is similar for level-triggered
interrupt.  So 2 vmexits for each level-triggered interrupt completion, one for
EOI on lapic and another for unmask of IOAPIC register.  Does this sound right?
I thought with vfio (or similar architecture), there is no vmexit necessary on
edge-triggered interrupt completion and only one vmexit for level triggered
interrupt completion, except the caveats of oneshot interrupt.  Maybe I
misunderstand something?