From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@intel.com>
To: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@nvidia.com>
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Joerg Roedel <joro@8bytes.org>,
	"Lu Baolu" <baolu.lu@linux.intel.com>,
	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>,
	"iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org"
	<iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org>,
	"kvm@vger.kernel.org" <kvm@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Alex Williamson (alex.williamson@redhat.com)"
	<alex.williamson@redhat.com>, Jason Wang <jasowang@redhat.com>,
	Eric Auger <eric.auger@redhat.com>,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>,
	"Raj, Ashok" <ashok.raj@intel.com>,
	"Liu, Yi L" <yi.l.liu@intel.com>, "Wu, Hao" <hao.wu@intel.com>,
	"Jiang, Dave" <dave.jiang@intel.com>,
	Jacob Pan <jacob.jun.pan@linux.intel.com>,
	Jean-Philippe Brucker <jean-philippe@linaro.org>,
	David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au>,
	Kirti Wankhede <kwankhede@nvidia.com>,
	"Robin Murphy" <robin.murphy@arm.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 01:25:00 +0000	[thread overview]

OK, this implies that if one user inadvertently creates intended parent/
child via different fd's then the operation will simply fail. More specifically
taking ARM's case for example. There is only a single 2nd-level I/O page
table per device (nested by multiple 1st-level tables). Say the user already
creates a gpa_ioasid for a device via fd1. Now he binds the device to fd2,
intending to enable vSVA which requires nested translation thus needs
create a parent via fd2. This parent creation will simply fail by the IOMMU
layer because the 2nd-level (via fd1) is already installed for this device.

> > To the other end there was also thought whether we should make
> > a single I/O address space per IOASID fd. This was discussed in previous
> > thread that #fd's are insufficient to afford theoretical 1M's address
> > spaces per device. But let's have another revisit and draw a clear
> > conclusion whether this option is viable.
>
> I had remarks on this, I think per-fd doesn't work
>
> > This implies that VFIO_BOUND_IOASID will be extended to allow user
> > specify a device label. This label will be recorded in /dev/iommu to
> > serve per-device invalidation request from and report per-device
> > fault data to the user.
>
> I wonder which of the user providing a 64 bit cookie or the kernel
> returning a small IDA is the best choice here? Both have merits
> depending on what qemu needs..

Yes, either way can work. I don't have a strong preference. Jean?

> > In addition, vPASID (if provided by user) will
> > be also recorded in /dev/iommu so vPASID<->pPASID conversion
> > is conducted properly. e.g. invalidation request from user carries
> > a vPASID which must be converted into pPASID before calling iommu
> > driver. Vice versa for raw fault data which carries pPASID while the
> > user expects a vPASID.
>
> I don't think the PASID should be returned at all. It should return
> the IOASID number in the FD and/or a u64 cookie associated with that
> IOASID. Userspace should figure out what the IOASID & device
> combination means.

This is true for Intel. But what about ARM which has only one IOASID
(pasid table) per device to represent all guest I/O page tables?

> > Seems to close this design open we have to touch the kAPI design. and
> > Joerg's input is highly appreciated here.
>
> uAPI is forever, the kAPI is constantly changing. I always dislike
> warping the uAPI based on the current kAPI situation.

I got this point. My point was that I didn't see significant gain from either
option thus to better compare the two uAPI options we might want to
further consider the involved kAPI effort as another factor.

Thanks
Kevin

From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@intel.com>
To: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@nvidia.com>