* [linux-lvm] ERROR: no physical volumes usable to extend volume group "movies"
@ 2003-07-20 16:57 patrik
From: patrik @ 2003-07-20 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hey!

I have a problem that I hope you could help me with.
To make a long story short, I have installed a brand new linux (mandrake)
system and got my old Volume up and running. It works very well, except for
one thing. When I try to extend my vg with a new harddrive it says
following:

vgextend -v movies /dev/sda
vgextend -- locking logical volume manager
vgextend -- checking volume group name "movies"
vgextend -- checking volume group "movies" existence
vgextend -- checking for inactivity of volume group
vgextend -- reading data of volume group "movies" from lvmtab
vgextend -- INFO: maximum logical volume size is 2 Terabyte
vgextend -- reading data for all physical volumes from disk(s)
vgextend -- extending VGDA structures of volume group "movies"
vgextend -- ERROR: no physical volumes usable to extend volume group
"movies"

I cant locate the problem, everything looks allright but there is maybe
something I am missing?
I am trying to extend the volume group by two discs as you can see from my
cut n paste from a pvscan. Everything like pvdisplay and such seem to work.
What to do?

--- Volume group ---
VG Name               movies
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                256
Cur LV                1
Open LV               1
MAX LV Size           2 TB
Max PV                256
Cur PV                4
Act PV                4
VG Size               377.16 GB
PE Size               32 MB
Total PE              12069
Alloc PE / Size       12069 / 377.16 GB
Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
VG UUID               joYSOs-THNu-lelx-XAsN-5SPg-EAI9-Yv8Kxs

pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc" is in no VG
[33.90 GB]
pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc" of VG
"movies" [33.84 GB / 0 free]
pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/disc"  of VG
"movies" [114.44 GB / 0 free]
pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/disc"  of VG
"movies" [114.44 GB / 0 free]
pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc"  of VG
"movies" [114.44 GB / 0 free]
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part7" is in no VG
[98.68 GB]
pvscan -- total: 6 [509.98 GB] / in use: 4 [377.40 GB] / in no VG: 2
[132.58 GB]

Respectfully,
Patrik

* Re: [linux-lvm] ERROR: no physical volumes usable to extend volume group "movies"
@ 2003-07-21  7:14   ` Alasdair G Kergon
From: Alasdair G Kergon @ 2003-07-21  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:27:15AM +0200, patrik@falkonline.nu wrote:
> I solved the problem... I used "vgextend movies
> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part7" instead and it worked. Strange?

The intelligence used to cope with duplicate devices/IDs needs more work.

Please set up filters in the config file instead, so LVM2 knows only
about the devices used as PVs (i.e. exclude component RAID devices,
listing just the md devices you want to use, and if there's multipath,
include only one path).

Alasdair
--
agk@uk.sistina.com

* Re: [linux-lvm] ERROR: no physical volumes usable to extend volume group "movies"
       [not found] <20030720215701.11710.28072.Mailman@hermes.sistina.com>
@ 2003-07-20 17:28 ` patrik
From: patrik @ 2003-07-20 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hi!

I solved the problem... I used "vgextend movies
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part7" instead and it worked. Strange?

Best regards
Patrik