From: zhengxunli@mxic.com.tw
To: <Tudor.Ambarus@microchip.com>
Cc: juliensu@mxic.com.tw, ycllin@mxic.com.tw, michael@walle.cc,
	linux-mtd@lists.infradead.org, heiko.thiery@gmail.com,
	p.yadav@ti.com
Subject: Re: spi-nor: maxronix MX25L12835F support
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 13:45:11 +0800	[thread overview]

Hi,

<Tudor.Ambarus@microchip.com> wrote on 2021/02/16 下午 07:15:33:

> <Tudor.Ambarus@microchip.com>
> 2021/02/16 下午 07:15

> <michael@walle.cc>, <p.yadav@ti.com>, <ycllin@mxic.com.tw>,
> <zhengxunli@mxic.com.tw>, <juliensu@mxic.com.tw>,
>
> cc
>
> <heiko.thiery@gmail.com>, <linux-mtd@lists.infradead.org>
>
> Subject
>
> Re: spi-nor: maxronix MX25L12835F support
>
> Hi, all,
>
> +zhengxunli, juliensu & ycllin
>
> On 2/16/21 11:48 AM, Michael Walle wrote:
> > EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you
> know the content is safe

> Maybe macronix can help with some suggestions on how to differentiate
> between flashes at runtime.

In fact, the duplicate ID also caused us trouble. Maybe you can refer to
our colleagues' patches and add a new ID before the old ID.

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-mtd/patch/1587631123-25474-2-git-send-email-masonccyang@mxic.com.tw/

> My first thought is to introduce a SPI_NOR_HAS_SFDP flag. For the flash
> that doesn't support SFDP tables, there should be no functional change,
> for the one that support SFDP it should fill the properties from the
> SFDP tables.
>

> >> The post_sfdp fixup is always run regardless of whether the flash has
> >> SFDP or not. You can try putting your flash-specific fixups there.
> >
> > Well the problem here is, that the SFDP setup is skipped though the
> > flash would support SFDP. If the jedec id wasn't already in the table,
> > there would be the flag SPI_NOR_QUAD_READ and the SFDP would be
> > parsed. But because there is already the legacy device (which likely
> > doesn't support SFDP) it really doesn't fit.
> >
> > Its unclear to me, why the SFDP is only parsed if one of the
> > SPI_NOR_*_READ flags are set.
>
> My guess is that a new SFDP flag was not necessary. SFDP defines
multiple
> tables, but there is just one that is mandatory, BFPT. BFPT defines DUAL
> and QUAD parameters. From the spi-nor code, a BFPT without DUAL or QUAD
> support doesn't make sense, even though DUAL or QUAD are not mandatory
> in BFPT as I see in the standard. So probably it was just a way to avoid
> adding a extra flag. We have to check the git history for a more
accurate
> description, this was just a guess.
>
> Thinking loud, now we do a static initialization of flash params, that
> can be overwritten dynamically by SFDP. How about doing the params init
> the other way around. Try first to dynamically discover the params via
> SFDP, and if SFDP fails or if it is not defined, do the static init via
> flags. That would spare some code. And new flash IDs will have less
flags
> declared, and we'll better track faulty SFDP flashes.

Thanks,
Zhengxun

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information
and/or personal data, which is protected by applicable laws. Please be
reminded that duplication, disclosure, distribution, or use of this e-mail
(and/or its attachments) or any part thereof is prohibited. If you receive
this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete this mail as
well as its attachment(s) from your system. In addition, please be
informed that collection, processing, and/or use of personal data is
prohibited unless expressly permitted by personal data protection laws.
Thank you for your attention and cooperation.

Macronix International Co., Ltd.