From: "Bernard Metzler" <BMT@zurich.ibm.com>
To: "Chuck Lever" <chuck.lever@oracle.com>
Cc: "linux-rdma" <linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Benjamin Coddington" <bcodding@redhat.com>
Subject: Re:  directing soft iWARP traffic through a secure tunnel
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 12:37:07 +0000	[thread overview]

-----"Chuck Lever" <chuck.lever@oracle.com> wrote: -----

>To: "linux-rdma" <linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org>
>From: "Chuck Lever" <chuck.lever@oracle.com>
>Date: 02/11/2021 08:38PM
>Cc: "Benjamin Coddington" <bcodding@redhat.com>
>Subject: [EXTERNAL] directing soft iWARP traffic through a secure
>tunnel
>
>Hi-
>
>This might sound crazy, but bear with me.
>
>The NFS community is starting to hold virtual interoperability
>testing
>events to replace our in-person events that are not feasible due to
>pandemic-related travel restrictions. I'm told other communities have
>started doing the same.
>
>The virtual event is being held on a private network that is set up
>using OpenVPN across a large geographical area. I attach my test
>systems to the VPN to access test systems run by others at other
>companies.
>
>We'd like to continue to include NFS/RDMA testing at these events.
>This means either RoCEv2 or iWARP, since obviously we can't create
>an ad hoc wide-area InfiniBand infrastructure.
>
>Because the VPN is operating over long distances, we've decided to
>start with iWARP. However, we are stumbling when it comes to
>directing
>the siw driver's traffic onto the tun0 device:
>
>[root@oracle-100 ~]# rdma link add siw0 type siw netdev tun0
>error: Invalid argument
>[root@oracle-100 ~]#
>
>Has anyone else tried to do this, and what was the approach? Or does
>siw not yet have this capability?

Hi Chuck

right. Attaching siw is currently restricted to some physical
device types. This now appears a useless limitation, since
it prevents its usage in the given setup, where it would
be just useful...
Relaxing that limitation is a rather simple code change in siw
- but that would not help you asap?

In any case I'd be happy to help with a fix, but participants
would have to rebuild the siw module...probably no option?

Best,
Bernard.