* Recipes and meta-data directory tree
@ 2021-03-17 16:40 keydi
From: keydi @ 2021-03-17 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Two projects are given. They use different YP release each.
Projects use also different target platform each.

I wonder if differences in structuring metadata- and recipes- directory tree between
these two projects result solely from different YP releases in use.
Or if these can be a result also of modifications conducted by platform vendors.

Any hints in what extend these result from different YP release numbers in use?

project A (YP release 2.6)
xxxx /yocto/
xxxx/yocto/downloads
xxxx/yocto/meta
xxxx/yocto/sstate-cache
xxxx/yocto/build
xxxx/yocto/.repo
xxxx/yocto/src
xxxx/yocto/prebuilt
xxxx/yocto/meta/
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky
xxxx/yocto/meta/meta-security
xxxx/yocto/meta/meta-clang
xxxx/yocto/meta/meta-openembedded
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/documentation
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta-poky
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta-selftest
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/bitbake
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/.git
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta-yocto-bsp
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta-skeleton
xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/scripts
+ a set of layers value chain specific, meta-... subdirectories with meta/  as root-point.

project B (YP release 2.0, actually backport of some later release
which unfortunately is not reflected in poky.conf)
yyyy/poky/
yyyy/poky/meta-yocto
yyyy/poky/meta
yyyy/poky/documentation
yyyy/poky/meta-selftest
yyyy/poky/meta-selinux
yyyy/poky/build
yyyy/poky/meta-cust-installer
yyyy/poky/bitbake
yyyy/poky/meta-yocto-bsp
yyyy/poky/meta-skeleton
yyyy/poky/scripts
+ a set of layers value chain specific, meta-... subdirectories with poky/  as root-point.

I mean mainly following differences:
* Project A places a set of value-chain specific layers/meta-... directories at same
directory level as poky.
* meta-yocto apparently not present in project A tree
* meta-poky apparently not present in project B tree

* Re: [yocto] Recipes and meta-data directory tree
@ 2021-03-18  1:15 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-03-18  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keydi; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:43 AM keydi <krzysztof.dudziak@thalesgroup.com> wrote:

> Two projects are given. They use different YP release each.
> Projects use also different target platform each.
>
> I wonder if differences in structuring metadata- and recipes- directory tree between
> these two projects result solely from different YP releases in use.
> Or if these can be a result also of modifications conducted by platform vendors.
>
> Any hints in what extend these result from different YP release numbers in use?
>
> project A (YP release 2.6)
> xxxx /yocto/
> xxxx/yocto/downloads
> xxxx/yocto/meta
> xxxx/yocto/sstate-cache
> xxxx/yocto/build
> xxxx/yocto/.repo
> xxxx/yocto/src
> xxxx/yocto/prebuilt
> xxxx/yocto/meta/
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky
> xxxx/yocto/meta/meta-security
> xxxx/yocto/meta/meta-clang
> xxxx/yocto/meta/meta-openembedded
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/documentation
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta-poky
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta-selftest
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/bitbake
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/.git
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta-yocto-bsp
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/meta-skeleton
> xxxx/yocto/meta/poky/scripts
> + a set of layers value chain specific, meta-... subdirectories with meta/  as root-point.
>
> project B (YP release 2.0, actually backport of some later release
> which unfortunately is not reflected in poky.conf)
> yyyy/poky/
> yyyy/poky/meta-yocto
> yyyy/poky/meta
> yyyy/poky/documentation
> yyyy/poky/meta-selftest
> yyyy/poky/meta-selinux
> yyyy/poky/build
> yyyy/poky/meta-cust-installer
> yyyy/poky/bitbake
> yyyy/poky/meta-yocto-bsp
> yyyy/poky/meta-skeleton
> yyyy/poky/scripts
> + a set of layers value chain specific, meta-... subdirectories with poky/  as root-point.
>
> I mean mainly following differences:
> * Project A places a set of value-chain specific layers/meta-... directories at same
> directory level as poky.
> * meta-yocto apparently not present in project A tree
> * meta-poky apparently not present in project B tree

OE allows you to build own distributions, so what you are looking at
is two different distributions based on different
different releases but using same build system ( OpenEmbedded ) over
major releases the build system gets changed
too in terms of its metadata as well new features and some old cruft
removed like usual projects. so you have different
releases, and different machines and different distro all contributing
to the differences.

* Re: [yocto] Recipes and meta-data directory tree
@ 2021-03-18  2:33   ` Tim Orling
From: Tim Orling @ 2021-03-18  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: keydi, yocto

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 6:16 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > yyyy/poky/scripts
> > + a set of layers value chain specific, meta-... subdirectories with
> poky/  as root-point.
> >
> > I mean mainly following differences:
> > * Project A places a set of value-chain specific layers/meta-...
> directories at same
> > directory level as poky.
> > * meta-yocto apparently not present in project A tree
> > * meta-poky apparently not present in project B tree
>
> OE allows you to build own distributions, so what you are looking at
> is two different distributions based on different
> different releases but using same build system ( OpenEmbedded ) over
> major releases the build system gets changed
> too in terms of its metadata as well new features and some old cruft
> removed like usual projects. so you have different
> releases, and different machines and different distro all contributing

and meta-yocto was renamed to meta-poky in one of those changes at the
request of the members and community.

* Re: [yocto] Recipes and meta-data directory tree
@ 2021-03-18 10:07   ` keydi
From: keydi @ 2021-03-18 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

> OE allows you to build own distributions, so what you are looking at is two
> different distributions based on different different releases but using same
> build system ( OpenEmbedded ) over major releases the build system gets
> changed too in terms of its metadata as well new features and some old cruft
> removed like usual projects. so you have different releases, and different
> machines and different distro all contributing to the differences.

Thanks for input from you.
Does this mean shown differences in directory tree is result, a mix of
these all listed parameters?
I am aware of these are two different distributions.
I am aware of these are based on different releases.
I am aware of these are two different machines.
I am aware of release to release to get several classes of modifications.
Actually asked question means how much show differences result from
usage of different YP releases.