All of lore.kernel.org
From: Davide Libenzi <davidel@xmailserver.org>
To: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au>,
	Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>,
	Zach Brown <zach.brown@oracle.com>,
	Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@2ka.mipt.ru>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>,
	Suparna Bhattacharya <suparna@in.ibm.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [patch 09/14] syslets: x86, add move_user_context() method
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:07:54 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:

>  /*
> + * Move user-space context from one kernel thread to another.
> + * This includes registers and FPU state. Callers must make
> + * sure that neither task is running user context at the moment:
> + */
> +void
> +move_user_context(struct task_struct *new_task, struct task_struct *old_task)
> +{
> +	struct pt_regs *old_regs = task_pt_regs(old_task);
> +	struct pt_regs *new_regs = task_pt_regs(new_task);
> +	union i387_union *tmp;
> +
> +	*new_regs = *old_regs;
> +	/*
> +	 * Flip around the FPU state too:
> +	 */
> +	tmp = new_task->thread.i387;
> +	new_task->thread.i387 = old_task->thread.i387;
> +	old_task->thread.i387 = tmp;
> +}

Let's say that old_task ("prev" at the incoming schedule) has TS_USEDFPU
set. Its context gets moved to the new_task (the one returning to
userspace) *before* the __unlazy_fpu() done in __switch_to(). The
__unlazy_fpu() at the following schedule will save the state to the old
new_task context, and that fine as far as the going-to-sleep task goes.
The next fault happening in new_task (return to userspace one) will reload
a non up2date context (the one we got from old_task, but never hit by
the __unlazy_fpu() flush). Right?

- Davide