* Compare 'cp' and 'nandwrite'
@ 2007-02-15  9:27 Jitendra Jain
From: Jitendra Jain @ 2007-02-15  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi all,

Can anyone explains me the difference between using nandwrite and cp
command for flashing JFFS2 filesystem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jitendra Jain,

eInfochips Business Disclaimer:
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged information. In case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by eInfochips Limited and/or eInfochips Inc("eInfochips") unless sent with that express intent and with due authority of eInfochips. eInfochips has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

* Re: Compare 'cp' and 'nandwrite'
@ 2007-02-15  9:40 ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2007-02-15  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jitendra Jain; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 14:57 +0530, Jitendra Jain wrote:
> eInfochips Business Disclaimer:
> This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally
> Privileged information. In case you are not the original intended
> Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use,
> Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you
> are requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed
> in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise
> stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as an
> offer or acceptance of any offer by eInfochips Limited and/or
> eInfochips Inc("eInfochips") unless sent with that express intent and
> with due authority of eInfochips. eInfochips has taken enough
> precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company
> accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by
> this email.

I kindly inform you that your confidential message has come to my mail
box. I of course delete it immediately as this disclaimer asks me to do.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)

* Re: Compare 'cp' and 'nandwrite'
@ 2007-02-15 21:16 ` Ricard Wanderlof
From: Ricard Wanderlof @ 2007-02-15 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jitendra Jain; +Cc: Linux mtd

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Jitendra Jain wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone explains me the difference between using nandwrite and cp
> command for flashing JFFS2 filesystem?

Nandwrite skips bad blocks in a nand flash when writing, whereas cp will
stop with a write error as soon as it encounters one. If you don't have
any bad blocks in the flash (or at least not where you want to write your
image), there should be no practical difference.

/Ricard