From: Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@gmx.de>
To: Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@iki.fi>
Cc: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>,
	linux-media@vger.kernel.org, s.nawrocki@samsung.com,
	hechtb@googlemail.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] New class for low level sensors controls?
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:43:43 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Sakari Ailus wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 02:35:54PM +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

[snip]

> > May I suggest a couple more:
> >
> > (1) snapshot mode (I really badly want this one, please;-))
>
> Sounds good.
>
> > (2) flash controls (yes, I know we already have V4L2_CTRL_CLASS_FLASH, I
> >     just have the impression, that these controls are mostly meant for
> >     either pure software implementations, or for external controllers, I
> >     think it should also be possible to have them exported by a normal
> >     sensor driver, but wasn't really sure. So, wanted to point out to this
> >     possibility once again.)
>
> There was a lengthy discussion during the review process. Do you see that
> something would be missing from the current interface?

I didn't try to systemise them. Just having a look at a couple of
datasheets I see a few more parameters, like flash strobe delay, etc. But
I don't think we should just add as many of them as we can just for the
sake of them. I think, as soon as someone comes with a new requirement,
we'll think of a way to implement it.

> I vaguely remember that you had a sensor that expected to be controlled by
> the flash controller considering the flash timing, rather than the other way
> around.

Maybe:-) But again - let's wait until someone needs that functionality.

> > (3) AEC / AGC regions
>
> This might get tricky. I wonder how we could eventually standardise these
> ones.
>
> > (4) stereo (3D anyone?;)) - no, don't think we need it now...
>
> I wonder what is needed to support this on V4L2. It might also depend on how
> the hardware will look like.

The sensor, that I looked at (mt9v022) has one bit to turn stereo mode on
or off, and one more bit to set master or slave.

> > > I don't think ISPs typically implement test patterns. Do you know of any?
> >
> > Yes, i.MX31.
>
> Good to know that.
>
> But you already know I'm with Laurent in believing that the controls should
> be classified based on what they do, not where they are implemented. :-)

Sure, I agree too, that was just FYI.

Thanks
Guennadi
---