* Video extractor?
@ 2009-11-23 15:24 Juhana Sadeharju
From: Juhana Sadeharju @ 2009-11-23 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Is there a video editor which can be used to extract pieces
of video to file? Two of the editors in Ubuntu failed to load
the DVB TS streamfile, Kino converted it to DV format, and slowly.
That is bad. And I don't know what DV format is, and how to convert
it losslessly back to DVB TS format.

Simplest would be if Xine would be equipped with "mark begin",
"mark end", and "extract to file" commands. The marks should
be at 188 byte packet boundaries. I could write viewer myself
using libxine but it takes time. Are Xine people reading this?

In any case, I got feeling basic tools are still missing from
Linux media software catalogue. I need the tool in my projects.

Juhana

* Re: Video extractor?
@ 2009-11-23 22:41 ` Wellington Terumi Uemura
From: Wellington Terumi Uemura @ 2009-11-23 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juhana Sadeharju, linux-media

That is the weak point of linux in general, in my case I can't
capture, edit and process DV video using linux, TS I doesn't even
count. In windows I have virtualdub and avisynth (with plugins) to do
whatever I need to process any capture type.

Since I got to know Linux OS (your linux OS brand here) back in 1996
not much was made so you can switch 100% from windows to linux. Yes,
today linux is much more easy to handle for a normal user, back in the
days we had to compile the kernel at the installation process, compile
your drivers and so on, but even today if you need some specific tools
in Linux that is trivial in Windows like virtualdub, avisynth (others)
you don't have it.

Make a dual boot installation to use windows based tools to do your basic work.

2009/11/23 Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@nic.funet.fi>:

> Is there a video editor which can be used to extract pieces
> of video to file? Two of the editors in Ubuntu failed to load
> the DVB TS streamfile, Kino converted it to DV format, and slowly.
> That is bad. And I don't know what DV format is, and how to convert
> it losslessly back to DVB TS format.
> In any case, I got feeling basic tools are still missing from
> Linux media software catalogue. I need the tool in my projects.
>
> Juhana

* Re: Video extractor?
@ 2009-11-24 10:38   ` Levente Novák
From: Levente Novák @ 2009-11-24 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wellington Terumi Uemura; +Cc: Juhana Sadeharju, linux-media

2009. 11. 23, hétfő keltezéssel 20.41-kor Wellington Terumi Uemura ezt
írta:

> Since I got to know Linux OS (your linux OS brand here) back in 1996
> not much was made so you can switch 100% from windows to linux. Yes,
> today linux is much more easy to handle for a normal user, back in the
> days we had to compile the kernel at the installation process, compile
> your drivers and so on, but even today if you need some specific tools
> in Linux that is trivial in Windows like virtualdub, avisynth (others)
> you don't have it.

There are plenty of good video tools under Linux.

> Make a dual boot installation to use windows based tools to do your basic work.
>
> 2009/11/23 Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@nic.funet.fi>:
> >
> > Is there a video editor which can be used to extract pieces
> > of video to file? Two of the editors in Ubuntu failed to load
> > the DVB TS streamfile, Kino converted it to DV format, and slowly.
> > That is bad. And I don't know what DV format is, and how to convert
> > it losslessly back to DVB TS format.

You are using the wrong tool. Kino is for DV (Sony miniDV camcorder
format) only.

> > In any case, I got feeling basic tools are still missing from
> > Linux media software catalogue. I need the tool in my projects.

Have you tried kdenlive, cinelerra, avidemux, gopchop, or dvbcut? (These
latter two are made exactly for cutting out from MPEG-PS or MPEG-TS
streams while maintaining the audio/video sync.) I recommend dvbcut, it
works well for me.

Levente