* Set aside some packages as supplement to the rootfs creation
@ 2017-02-15 19:09 Darcy Watkins
From: Darcy Watkins @ 2017-02-15 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

I want to be able to build an image target in such a way that 'bitbake image-target' builds the target as follows:

1.  All of the packages are built for this target, including the RPMs
2.  Some of the packages are designated as NOT to be installed into the rootfs generated for the target at build time
3.  They need to be available in the RPM feed to be installed on the target subsequent to flashing the rootfs image
4.  Need some sort of supplemental manifest that lists these packages that were built, but are NOT in the rootfs

Are there some variables, bbclasses, etc set up to facilitate this?

I have tried using PACKAGE_EXCLUDE but this doesn't guarantee that they will be built.

I think I can do it by adding a bbclass that will:
-  add a task that depends on the supplemental packages being built
-  exclude them from the target image by default (using PACKAGE_EXCLUDE)
-  ensure that the supplemental packages are deployed to the feed and create some sort of supplemental manifest

But want to make sure this doesn't reinvent any wheels.

Thanks!

PS: Hope to see some of you at upcoming Embedded Linux Conference and Yocto Project DevDay in Portland.

Regards,

Darcy

Darcy Watkins ::  Staff Engineer, Firmware

SIERRA WIRELESS
Direct  +1 604 233 7989   ::  Fax  +1 604 231 1109  ::  Main  +1 604 231 1100
13811 Wireless Way  :: Richmond, BC Canada V6V 3A4
[P2]
dwatkins@sierrawireless.com :: www.sierrawireless.com :: www.inmotiontechnology.com

* Re: Set aside some packages as supplement to the rootfs creation
@ 2017-02-15 20:06 ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2017-02-15 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darcy Watkins; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 19:09:30 +0000
Darcy Watkins <dwatkins@sierrawireless.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to build an image target in such a way that 'bitbake image-target' builds the target as follows:
>
> 1.  All of the packages are built for this target, including the RPMs
> 2.  Some of the packages are designated as NOT to be installed into the rootfs generated for the target at build time
> 3.  They need to be available in the RPM feed to be installed on the target subsequent to flashing the rootfs image
> 4.  Need some sort of supplemental manifest that lists these packages that were built, but are NOT in the rootfs
>
> Are there some variables, bbclasses, etc set up to facilitate this?

I've done this before by creating a pair of recipes, let's say
'image-target' and 'project-target'. You would run 'bitbake
project-target' instead of 'bitbake image-target' to start the build.

* image-target is a normal image recipe including everything you want
  in the rootfs

* project-target DEPENDS on image-target as well as every other package
  you want to be available in the package feed

I'm not sure if there are any extra steps you need to take to update an
RPM package feed though, I usually work with ipk packages.

Thanks,
Paul