* [cip-dev] RESUME REQUEST: [cip-core] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages)
@ 2020-01-17  8:53 Kento Yoshida
From: Kento Yoshida @ 2020-01-17  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello,

I would like to resume our proposal from security working group.
As you know, Kazu has modified the script to generate a proposal and posted the minimum base system proposal, and then I created the new proposal.

The difference from the original (rev01) proposal is below:
1. We remove 'duplicity', 'google-authenticator', 'pam-shield' and 'suricata' in the new proposal because they have an issue such as non-well maintained, python version, too much dependencies and so on. We'll separately propose them after solved these issues.
2. The new proposal shows all source package as flat. Thanks to the new script, Kazu!
3. Actually several packages overlap with the proposed packages for minimum base system in Debian, so I added comment them like that.

@kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp,
Would you check this proposal and set the due date to review it?

Please reply if you have any comments or questions.

Kind regards,
Kent

@ 2020-01-17 13:14 ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2020-01-17 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Kent,

[...]
> 3. Actually several packages overlap with the proposed packages for minimum base system in Debian, so I added comment
> them like that.

Thank you for taking time to check this...
In order to clearly show the differences of my proposal #2 and your proposal,
it might be better to create additional yml file where the duplicated packages are dropped.
I will try to create this data next week :)

> @kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp,
> Would you check this proposal and set the due date to review it?

The proposal #2 is now proceeding in parallel so it's a bit difficult to decide
but how about setting it to Jan 27th?

Best regards,
Kazu

@ 2020-01-19  8:28   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-01-19  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 17.01.20 14:14, kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp wrote:
> Hello Kent,
>
> [...]
>> 3. Actually several packages overlap with the proposed packages for minimum base system in Debian, so I added comment
>> them like that.
>
> Thank you for taking time to check this...
> In order to clearly show the differences of my proposal #2 and your proposal,
> it might be better to create additional yml file where the duplicated packages are dropped.
> I will try to create this data next week :)
>

>> @kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp,
>> Would you check this proposal and set the due date to review it?
>
> The proposal #2 is now proceeding in parallel so it's a bit difficult to decide
> but how about setting it to Jan 27th?

As I'm not in the house next week, I will not be able to comment on the
new list, nor vote. In any case, one week might be ok for a short,
obvious list. But if we are talking about a list of dozens of packages,
that will be too short.

Jan

@ 2020-01-20 10:28 ` Punit Agrawal
From: Punit Agrawal @ 2020-01-20 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Yoshida-san,

Kento Yoshida <kento.yoshida.wz@renesas.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to resume our proposal from security working group.
> As you know, Kazu has modified the script to generate a proposal and posted the minimum base system proposal, and then I created the new proposal.
>
> The difference from the original (rev01) proposal is below:
> 1. We remove 'duplicity', 'google-authenticator', 'pam-shield' and 'suricata' in the new proposal because they have an issue such as non-well maintained, python version, too much dependencies and so on. We'll separately propose them after solved these issues.
> 2. The new proposal shows all source package as flat. Thanks to the new script, Kazu!
> 3. Actually several packages overlap with the proposed packages for minimum base system in Debian, so I added comment them like that.
>
> @kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp,
> Would you check this proposal and set the due date to review it?
>
> Please reply if you have any comments or questions.

I have a comment about packages in the proposal that depend on hardware
/ system features -

* Some packages in the proposal depend on special purpose hardware to
  provide their functionality. e.g., TPM.

  In systems, where TPM is not present (or similar functionality is
  provided by alternate mechanisms), the TPM related packages will not
  be useful. e.g., the non-x86 platforms in the CIP reference hardware
  list.

* Similarly, some packages require the system to be connected to the
  network.

In both of these situations, I am wondering what is the impact on
compliance? Is there a need to also define minimal set of hardware
features expected from reference hardware to be able to meet compliance
requirements?

To help review the package list (and also discuss alternatives), it
would help to define the underlying functionality that is required in
more detail, e.g., secure key storage, verified boot, etc. It'll make it
possible review the proposal more concretely.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Punit

[...]

* [cip-dev] RESUME REQUEST: [cip-core] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages)
@ 2020-01-21  0:48     ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2020-01-21  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello,

> On 17.01.20 14:14, kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp wrote:
> > Hello Kent,
> >
> > [...]
> >> 3. Actually several packages overlap with the proposed packages for minimum base system in Debian, so I added comment
> >> them like that.
> >
> > Thank you for taking time to check this...
> > In order to clearly show the differences of my proposal #2 and your proposal,
> > it might be better to create additional yml file where the duplicated packages are dropped.
> > I will try to create this data next week :)
> >

> >> @kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp,
> >> Would you check this proposal and set the due date to review it?
> >
> > The proposal #2 is now proceeding in parallel so it's a bit difficult to decide
> > but how about setting it to Jan 27th?
>
> As I'm not in the house next week, I will not be able to comment on the
> new list, nor vote. In any case, one week might be ok for a short,
> obvious list. But if we are talking about a list of dozens of packages,
> that will be too short.

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to change the due date to
	Feb 5th (two weeks + 3 days)
Regarding security packages, I guess more discussions about
the technical requirements of the security standard would be required,
so this change might not be enough too though.

Kazu

@ 2020-01-21  1:39   ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2020-01-21  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Kent, and reviewers,

[...]
> In order to clearly show the differences of my proposal #2 and your proposal,
> it might be better to create additional yml file where the duplicated packages are dropped.
> I will try to create this data next week :)

I attached this file.
Please note that the packages duplicated with the proposal #2 are removed from this file.

As the first step, it's better to start our reviews from
the 15 "top-level" packages in the first section of the attachment.
Other packages are just dependencies of these packages.

Best regards,
Kazu

From: Kento Yoshida @ 2020-01-21  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello and thank you for your comment, Punit,

How each reference hardware satisfies the requirements should be considered by each reference hardware provider.
If we provide hardware mechanisms similar with TPM to protect credentials and authentications, we can meet compliance requirements.
TPM related packages are options in only systems where TPM is implemented as you said. If supporting these packages require too much costs, the necessity of them will diminish.
Actually the standard lists TPM as a typical example, so we thought it will be useful to maintain TPM related packages for many users, but their necessities depend on supporting cost.

@ 2020-01-23  7:34     ` Punit Agrawal
From: Punit Agrawal @ 2020-01-23  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Thank you for your comments, Yoshida-san. Follow up comments inline.

Kento Yoshida <kento.yoshida.wz@renesas.com> writes:

> Hello and thank you for your comment, Punit,

Agreed.

But without an explicit statement of the requirement, how can a hardware
vendor wanting to develop system for CIP users know what features to
enable in their system?

> If we provide hardware mechanisms similar with TPM to protect
> credentials and authentications, we can meet compliance requirements.

TPM2 specification is more than 2000 pages long with many features and
functions. I believe the IEC standard requires a subset of this
functionality. The Security WG maybe intimately familiar with the
required features but for the reviewers on this list, there isn't any
criteria to use for evaluation.

Stating these functional requirements explicitly will serve the dual
purpose of -

* Provide an objective criteria for evaluating the package proposal (and
  discuss alternatives)

* Give hardware / system vendors the features / functions needed by CIP
  users.

What do you think?

> TPM related packages are options in only systems where TPM is
> implemented as you said. If supporting these packages require too much
> costs, the necessity of them will diminish.  Actually the standard
> lists TPM as a typical example, so we thought it will be useful to
> maintain TPM related packages for many users, but their necessities
> depend on supporting cost.

I see - thanks for the background of the TPM-related packages in the
proposal.

>>To help review the package list (and also discuss alternatives), it would help to
>>define the underlying functionality that is required in more detail, e.g., secure key
>>storage, verified boot, etc. It'll make it possible review the proposal more
>>concretely.

[...]

* [cip-dev] RESUME REQUEST: [cip-core] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages)
@ 2020-02-07  8:58       ` Kento Yoshida
From: Kento Yoshida @ 2020-02-07  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello reviews,

Thank you for your supporting against our proposal.
I'd like to share you the description sheet for our proposal of security packages.
Please consider my attachment and the following note.

Note:
1. Added "fail2ban" as the alternative "pam-shield" because "pam-shield" is not well-maintained and replace with "fail2ban"
2. There are 3 packages in bottom that are under discussion to add. They are out of scope for this review but I'd like to explain them, so let me know your ideas if you have.
3. The requirements for hardware functions are out of scope for this review, but tpm2 is concrete example mentioned in the standard, so I'd like to add some packages related tpm2. However, they are options for only using tpm2, so let me know your comments against adding the packages for a specific use case.

BTW,

@kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp,

I'd like to create new proposal to add "fail2ban", but the script for generating proposal shows the following error, and I could not generate it.

-------------------------------
Source package name:
Binary packages:

any>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./generate-proposal.py", line 218, in <module>
    generate_proposal(common.PDPProposal.ProposalInfo())
  File "./generate-proposal.py", line 176, in generate_proposal
    deb_src_pkg_info = prepare_src_pkg_info(apt, cve, dep_src_pkg, dep_pkg_info.keys())
  File "./generate-proposal.py", line 51, in prepare_src_pkg_info
    dp_list_final = gpd.get_pkg_depends(pkg, apt)
  File "/home/yoshidak/cip-pkglist/get_pkg_depends.py", line 102, in get_pkg_depends
    dp_list, dp_vir_pkg_dict = apt.apt_cache_get_depends_list(pkg_name)
  File "/home/yoshidak/cip-pkglist/common.py", line 222, in apt_cache_get_depends_list
    dp_info=c[pkg_name]
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 238, in __getitem__
    raise KeyError('The cache has no package named %r' % key)
KeyError: "The cache has no package named 'any>'"
-------------------------------

I think that the reason is below. When I enter the information of "fail2ban", the script get the dependency for it as <python3:any>.

-------------------------------
Enter the source package name: fail2ban
Choose the required binary packages:
        1: fail2ban
 Input the numbers in comma separated (eg: 1,3,4): 1

fail2ban
 Choose one of the virtual package provider: <python3:any>
        1: python3
 Input the number: 1
        -<python3:any>:python3
        -lsb-base
 Are any of the binary packages used in target rootfs?
        1: True
        2: False
-------------------------------

Would you confirm this issue?

Best regards,
Kent

@ 2020-02-07  9:22         ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2020-02-07  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Kent,

Thank you for reporting the problem.
I've created an issue on GitLab: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/cip-pkglist/issues/4

However, I could not reproduce the error.
Could you join the discussion above and tell us the commit ID of `cip-pkglist` you are using and host system information?

Best regards,
Kazu

@ 2020-02-07 10:35         ` Venkata Seshagiri Pyla
From: Venkata Seshagiri Pyla @ 2020-02-07 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Kent,

Thanks for reporting the issue in the PDP Scripts.
The issue is already resolved with recent changes in the gitlab.
Could you please git pull the latest changes and try it again.

Kindly please let me know if you are facing any issue.

Thanks,
Venkata.
> [...]

  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 238, in __getitem__
    raise KeyError('The cache has no package named %r' % key)
KeyError: "The cache has no package named 'any>'"
-------------------------------

I think that the reason is below. When I enter the information of "fail2ban", the script get the dependency for it as <python3:any>.

-------------------------------
Enter the source package name: fail2ban
Choose the required binary packages:
        1: fail2ban
 Input the numbers in comma separated (eg: 1,3,4): 1

fail2ban
 Choose one of the virtual package provider: <python3:any>
        1: python3
 Input the number: 1
        -<python3:any>:python3
        -lsb-base
 Are any of the binary packages used in target rootfs?

The information contained in this e-mail message and in any
attachments/annexure/appendices is confidential to the
recipient and may contain privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender and delete the message along with any
attachments/annexure/appendices. You should not disclose,
copy or otherwise use the information contained in the
message or any annexure. Any views expressed in this e-mail
are those of the individual sender except where the sender
specifically states them to be the views of
Toshiba Software India Pvt. Ltd. (TSIP),Bangalore.

Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be
free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer
system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility
of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility
is accepted by Toshiba Embedded Software India Pvt. Ltd, for any loss or
damage arising in any way from its use.