From: Phil Edworthy <phil.edworthy@renesas.com>
To: Heikki Krogerus <heikki.krogerus@linux.intel.com>
Cc: Biju Das <biju.das.jz@bp.renesas.com>,
	Aswath Govindraju <a-govindraju@ti.com>,
	"linux-usb@vger.kernel.org" <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: usb: typec: driver for TI HD3SS3220 USB Type-C DRP port controller question
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 08:28:07 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Heikki,

On 21 June 2022 08:23 Heikki Krogerus wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 09:04:10AM +0000, Phil Edworthy wrote:
> > Hi Heikki,
> >
> > I have a board that uses the TI HD3SS3220 USB Type-C DRP port
> > controller [1], however it doesn't have the interrupt line
> > connected. How would you recommend I handle this? Should I get
> > the driver to poll the i2c registers?
> >
> > [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/usb/typec/hd3ss3220.c?h=v5.19-rc3
>
> If you have some other way of detecting connections on your system,
> then we probable could consider some kind of notifier, but as a
> general solution for the lack of interrupt, I think polling is the
> only way.
Thanks for your comments.

I wonder if this is a problem that affects quite a few drivers, where
a generic polling solution can be used instead of interrupts. This
would require a driver-specific function that can detect when an
interrupt would have occurred, e.g. by reading a register via i2c.
This is already done like that for ethernet PHY interrupts.

> I'll add the list, and Aswath and Roger. Aswath and Roger were looking
> at the same problem with the tps6598x (tipd) driver.

Thanks
Phil