From: Kevin Sheldrake <Kevin.Sheldrake@microsoft.com>
To: Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com>
Cc: "bpf@vger.kernel.org" <bpf@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Maximum size of record over perf ring buffer?
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:10:07 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello Andrii and list

I've now had chance to properly investigate the perf ring buffer corruption bug.  Essentially (as suspected), the size parameter that is specified as a __u64 in bpf_helper_defs.h, is truncated into a __u16 inside the struct perf_event_header size parameter ($KERNELSRC/include/uapi/linux/perf_event.h and /usr/include/linux/perf_event.h).

Changing the size parameter in perf_event_header (both locations) to a __u32 (or __u64 if you prefer) fixes my issue of sending more than 64KB of data in a single perf sample, but I'm not convinced that this is a good or workable solution.

As I, and probably others, are more likely to tend towards much smaller, fragmented packets, I suggest (having spoken to KP Singh) that the fix should probably be in the verifier - to ensure the size is <0xffff - 8 (sizeof(struct perf_event_header) I guess) - and also in bpf_helper_defs.h to raise a clang warning/error, as well as in the bpf_helpers man page.

The bpf_helper_defs.h and man page updates are trivial, but I can't work out where in verifier.c the check should go.  It feels like it should be in check_helper_call() but I can't see any other similar checks in there.  I suspect that the better fix would be to create another ARG_CONST_SIZE type, such as ARG_CONST_SIZE_PERF_SAMPLE, that can be explicitly checked rather than adding ad hoc size checks.

As this causes corruption inside the perf ring buffer as samples overlap, and the reported sample size is questionable, please can I ask for some help in fixing this?

Thanks

Kevin Sheldrake

PS I will get around to the clang/LLVM jump offset warning soon I promise.