Not a common use case but if I do for example: | $ b4 prep -F 20221117104636.639889-1-broonie@kernel.org -n tap-spec-relax -f v6.1-rc1 ... | NOTE: any follow-up trailers were ignored; apply them with b4 trailers -u I run the suggested command but get: | $ b4 trailers -u | Calculating patch-ids from commits, this may take a moment... | Checking change-id "20221207-tap-spec-relax-9138e5760340" | Grabbing search results from lore.kernel.org | Nothing matching that query. | No trailer updates found. since the change wasn't sent with b4 initially. I see that the documentaton does say to use -F but using that produces the same output, it looks like it's checking the change-id no matter what and gives up if it can't find it. BTW I also notice that no template inter-version chnagelog is generated for the b4 prep command above, the same thing seems to happen even if the sent series has a cover letter.