On 2022-12-05 at 19:00:19, Christian Göttsche wrote: > Commit 57f5d52a942 ("common-main: call sanitize_stdfds()") added the > sanitization for standard file descriptors (stdin, stdout, stderr) to > all binaries. The lead to all binaries unconditionally opening > /dev/null with the flag O_RDWR (read and write). Most of the time the > standard file descriptors should be set up properly and the sanitization > ends up doing nothing. > > There are many non modifying git operations, like `git status` or `git > stash list`, which might be called by a parent to gather information > about the repository. That parent might run under a seccomp filter to > avoid accidental modification or unwanted command execution on memory > corruptions. As part of that seccomp filter open(2) and openat(2) might > be only allowed in read-only mode (O_RDONLY), thus preventing git's > sanitation and stopping the application. > > Check before opening /dev/null to populate a possible non-present > standard file descriptor if actually any is missing. I don't think this patch makes anything worse, and so I think it should be fine as it is. _However_, I will say that `git status` is not a read-only command because it can write the index, and we aren't, in general, going to be able to promise that any portion of Git will work with only O_RDONLY file descriptors. I suspect such a sandbox is going to result in a highly broken Git in general, and so it wouldn't be a good idea. -- brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them) Toronto, Ontario, CA