On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 01:01:45PM +0000, Richard Fitzgerald wrote: > Ensure that i2c_mark_adapter_suspended() is always balanced by a call to > i2c_mark_adapter_resumed(). > > dw_i2c_plat_resume() must always be called, so that > i2c_mark_adapter_resumed() is called. This is not compatible with > DPM_FLAG_MAY_SKIP_RESUME, so remove the flag. > > Since the controller is always resumed on system resume the > dw_i2c_plat_complete() callback is redundant and has been removed. > > The unbalanced suspended flag was introduced by commit c57813b8b288 > ("i2c: designware: Lock the adapter while setting the suspended flag") > > Before that commit, the system and runtime PM used the same functions. The > DPM_FLAG_MAY_SKIP_RESUME was used to skip the system resume if the driver > had been in runtime-suspend. If system resume was skipped, the suspended > flag would be cleared by the next runtime resume. The check of the > suspended flag was _after_ the call to pm_runtime_get_sync() in > i2c_dw_xfer(). So either a system resume or a runtime resume would clear > the flag before it was checked. > > Having introduced the unbalanced suspended flag with that commit, a further > commit 80704a84a9f8 > ("i2c: designware: Use the i2c_mark_adapter_suspended/resumed() helpers") > > changed from using a local suspended flag to using the > i2c_mark_adapter_suspended/resumed() functions. These use a flag that is > checked by I2C core code before issuing the transfer to the bus driver, so > there was no opportunity for the bus driver to runtime resume itself before > the flag check. > > Signed-off-by: Richard Fitzgerald > Fixes: c57813b8b288 ("i2c: designware: Lock the adapter while setting the suspended flag") > Reviewed-by: Hans de Goede Does this fix a bug when runtime resuming? This is not clear to me. I tend to put it to for-next rather than for-current.