On 2021-03-13 at 16:06:18, Arun Sharma wrote: > [ resending bug report from git-users since there weren't any responses ] > > So I'm trying to split out a directory from postgres source code > (which has 52k commits). I was able to split a directory into a > separate subtree (with 1685 commits). All good so far. > > Now I do a pull from upstream and want to push the directory to my > subtree. The command fails with: > > $ git subtree push --prefix=src/interfaces/libpq libpq master > /usr/lib/git-core/git-subtree: 647: Maximum function recursion depth > (1000) reached > > As far as I can see, it seems to be a mutual recursion between > > process_split_commit() and check_parents() > > If this diagnosis is correct, are there any known workarounds? I've > tried increasing ulimit -s and FUNCNEST=10000, but it didn't fix the > problem. > > Can this flow be coded without using recursion? Are there > implementations of git-subtree in another language which doesn't have > this problem? I don't use git-subtree, but there's some additional information which would probably be helpful here to someone who does. What OS are you using, what version of Git, and what shell is the shell you have as /bin/sh (or, if you've compiled using a custom shell, the shell you're using for that)? -- brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them) Houston, Texas, US