On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 07:12:36PM -0400, John Snow wrote: > setuptools doesn't have a formal understanding of development requires, > but it has an optional feataures section. Fine; add a "devel" feature > and add the requirements to it. > > To avoid duplication, we can modify pipenv to install qemu[devel] > instead. This enables us to run invocations like "pip install -e > .[devel]" and test the package on bleeding-edge packages beyond those > specified in Pipfile.lock. > > Importantly, this also allows us to install the qemu development > packages in a non-networked mode: `pip3 install --no-index -e .[devel]` > will now fail if the proper development dependencies are not already > met. This can be useful for automated build scripts where fetching > network packages may be undesirable. > This is a fairly exotic feature of setuptools, with very very few packages that I know about using it. With most users (I believe) relying on pipenv to get the exact packages, the setuptools/pip use case may fall into obscurity IMO. So my suggestion is: consider better exposing the fact that this is available (a documentation section perhaps). > Signed-off-by: John Snow > --- > python/Pipfile | 5 +---- > python/Pipfile.lock | 14 +++++++++----- > python/setup.cfg | 9 +++++++++ > 3 files changed, 19 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-) > Either way, Reviewed-by: Cleber Rosa