* CI: 'seen' minus a few passes tests, eh, almost
@ 2021-05-25 22:25 Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2021-05-25 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Han-Wen Nienhuys, Avar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, ZheNing Hu

It is sad that the tip of 'seen' rarely passes all tests these days.

I excluded a few topics (chosen primarily by prejudice after looking
at which tests failed earlier, without locating exactly where and
why they fail) from 'seen' and the exclusion of them seems to have
made 'seen' finally pass the tests, eh, almost [*1*].

82b1e47 is such a "reduced" 'seen' branch, and the CI run for it can
be found here:

  https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/876448385

Excluded are:

  ab/fsck-unexpected-type
  hn/reftable
  hn/refs-errno-cleanup
  zh/ref-filter-raw-data

Any of these may not be broken by themselves, and it could be that
the tests may still pass even if one or some of them are merged on
top of 82b1e47 and the problem may manifest only when two or more of
these topics in certain combinations are merged to 'seen'.

The CI run for 'seen' with all these four topics merged back can be
found here:

  https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/876534959

[Footnote]

*1* Except for "git repack" segfaults only in one of the tests:

  https://github.com/git/git/runs/2669668815?check_suite_focus=true#step:5:2846

* Re: CI: 'seen' minus a few passes tests, eh, almost
@ 2021-05-26  5:32 ` Junio C Hamano
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2021-05-26  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git
  Cc: Han-Wen Nienhuys, Avar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, ZheNing Hu,
	Taylor Blau

Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> writes:

> It is sad that the tip of 'seen' rarely passes all tests these days.
>
> I excluded a few topics (chosen primarily by prejudice after looking
> at which tests failed earlier, without locating exactly where and
> why they fail) from 'seen' and the exclusion of them seems to have
> made 'seen' finally pass the tests, eh, almost [*1*].
> Excluded are:
>
>   ab/fsck-unexpected-type
>   hn/reftable
>   hn/refs-errno-cleanup
>   zh/ref-filter-raw-data

> [Footnote]
>
> *1* Except for "git repack" segfaults only in one of the tests:
>
>   https://github.com/git/git/runs/2669668815?check_suite_focus=true#step:5:2846

Just with a hunch, I further excluded tb/multi-pack-bitmaps from
'seen', in addition to these four topics.  It seems to pass the
whole test suite on both 32- and 64-bit build combinations.

    https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/877225207

Except that vs-build sometimes fails to download the sdk, that is.

* Re: CI: 'seen' minus a few passes tests, eh, almost
@ 2021-05-26  6:07   ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2021-05-26  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git
  Cc: Han-Wen Nienhuys, Avar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, ZheNing Hu,
	Taylor Blau

Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> It is sad that the tip of 'seen' rarely passes all tests these days.
>>
>> I excluded a few topics (chosen primarily by prejudice after looking
>> at which tests failed earlier, without locating exactly where and
>> why they fail) from 'seen' and the exclusion of them seems to have
>> made 'seen' finally pass the tests, eh, almost [*1*].
>> Excluded are:
>>
>>   ab/fsck-unexpected-type
>>   hn/reftable
>>   hn/refs-errno-cleanup
>>   zh/ref-filter-raw-data

>> [Footnote]
>>
>> *1* Except for "git repack" segfaults only in one of the tests:
>>
>>   https://github.com/git/git/runs/2669668815?check_suite_focus=true#step:5:2846
>
> Just with a hunch, I further excluded tb/multi-pack-bitmaps from
> 'seen', in addition to these four topics.  It seems to pass the
> whole test suite on both 32- and 64-bit build combinations.
>
>     https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/877225207
>
> Except that vs-build sometimes fails to download the sdk, that is.

And https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/877379968 tests the
above with hn/refs-errno-cleanup added back.  The usual tests all
seem to pass, even though vs-build fails to download the sdk.

* Re: CI: 'seen' minus a few passes tests, eh, almost
@ 2021-05-26 14:39   ` Taylor Blau
From: Taylor Blau @ 2021-05-26 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano
  Cc: git, Han-Wen Nienhuys, Avar Arnfjörð Bjarmason,
	ZheNing Hu, Taylor Blau

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 02:32:19PM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Just with a hunch, I further excluded tb/multi-pack-bitmaps from
> 'seen', in addition to these four topics.  It seems to pass the
> whole test suite on both 32- and 64-bit build combinations.
>
>     https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/877225207
>
> Except that vs-build sometimes fails to download the sdk, that is.

Thanks for letting me know. I have accumulated a few local changes that
I wanted to include in a reroll of that topic, but I was waiting on
other reviewer eyes before sending it.

I should be able to spend some more time pushing that topic forward
after the release. There are a few other patch series waiting on it from
GitHub, too.

Thanks,
Taylor

* Re: CI: 'seen' minus a few passes tests, eh, almost
@ 2021-05-26 15:02 ` ZheNing Hu
From: ZheNing Hu @ 2021-05-26 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano
  Cc: Git List, Han-Wen Nienhuys, Avar Arnfjörð Bjarmason

Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> 于2021年5月26日周三 上午6:25写道:

> It is sad that the tip of 'seen' rarely passes all tests these days.
>
> I excluded a few topics (chosen primarily by prejudice after looking
> at which tests failed earlier, without locating exactly where and
> why they fail) from 'seen' and the exclusion of them seems to have
> made 'seen' finally pass the tests, eh, almost [*1*].
>
> 82b1e47 is such a "reduced" 'seen' branch, and the CI run for it can
> be found here:
>
>   https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/876448385
>
> Excluded are:
>
>   ab/fsck-unexpected-type
>   hn/reftable
>   hn/refs-errno-cleanup
>   zh/ref-filter-raw-data

Hi, Junio,
I find my patch may cause some bug:
I ignored those blobs with no content (objectsize == 0) before,
Some things about "--sort=contents:raw" need to be changed.
so please remove my patch from `seen`.

--
ZheNing Hu

* Re: CI: 'seen' minus a few passes tests, eh, almost
@ 2021-05-26 15:53     ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2021-05-26 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylor Blau
  Cc: Junio C Hamano, git, Han-Wen Nienhuys,
	Avar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, ZheNing Hu

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 10:39:53AM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 02:32:19PM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > Just with a hunch, I further excluded tb/multi-pack-bitmaps from
> > 'seen', in addition to these four topics.  It seems to pass the
> > whole test suite on both 32- and 64-bit build combinations.
> >
> >     https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/877225207
> >
> > Except that vs-build sometimes fails to download the sdk, that is.
>
> Thanks for letting me know. I have accumulated a few local changes that
> I wanted to include in a reroll of that topic, but I was waiting on
> other reviewer eyes before sending it.

I think the best thing in a situation like this (where reviewers like me
have been very slow to respond) is to repost it explaining the
situation. That makes it clear what the current state is, and brings it
to the forefront of the list's attention (both reviewers you'd expect to
look at it, but people in general). Doing that too often can be
obnoxious, of course, but after 6-8 weeks saying "hey, this didn't get
attention; can anybody take a look at it?" is perfectly reasonable.

> I should be able to spend some more time pushing that topic forward
> after the release. There are a few other patch series waiting on it from
> GitHub, too.

But yeah, waiting until after the release is good, to keep attention on
regression fixes in the meantime.

-Peff

* Re: CI: 'seen' minus a few passes tests, eh, almost
@ 2021-05-26 16:48       ` Taylor Blau
From: Taylor Blau @ 2021-05-26 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King
  Cc: Taylor Blau, Junio C Hamano, git, Han-Wen Nienhuys,

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 11:53:34AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 10:39:53AM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 02:32:19PM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > > Just with a hunch, I further excluded tb/multi-pack-bitmaps from
> > > 'seen', in addition to these four topics.  It seems to pass the
> > > whole test suite on both 32- and 64-bit build combinations.
> > >
> > >     https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/877225207
> > >
> > > Except that vs-build sometimes fails to download the sdk, that is.
> >
> > Thanks for letting me know. I have accumulated a few local changes that
> > I wanted to include in a reroll of that topic, but I was waiting on
> > other reviewer eyes before sending it.
>
> I think the best thing in a situation like this (where reviewers like me
> have been very slow to respond) is to repost it explaining the
> situation. That makes it clear what the current state is, and brings it
> to the forefront of the list's attention (both reviewers you'd expect to
> look at it, but people in general). Doing that too often can be
> obnoxious, of course, but after 6-8 weeks saying "hey, this didn't get
> attention; can anybody take a look at it?" is perfectly reasonable.

Indeed, but I had been putting even doing that off. I've had some
sporadic time off in the last few months (as you know) and so usually by
the time that I'm back enough other stuff has accumulated that I don't
feel like adding more to the list by encouraging further review.

So the topic (and my participation on the list in general) has kind of
languished, but I'm hoping that since things have mostly cooled down for
me outside of work that I'll be able to participate and submit patches
more consistently.

Thanks,
Taylor

* Re: CI: 'seen' minus a few passes tests, eh, almost
@ 2021-06-02 11:59   ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2021-06-02 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano
  Cc: git, Han-Wen Nienhuys, Avar Arnfjörð Bjarmason,
	ZheNing Hu, Taylor Blau

Hi Junio,

On Wed, 26 May 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> [CI failed, and was fixed...]
>
> Except that vs-build sometimes fails to download the sdk, that is.

I have a patch series to help with that (at least a little bit), but I am
holding it until after v2.32.0.

Ciao,
Dscho