On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 05:19:06PM +1000, Nicholas Piggin wrote: > Excerpts from David Gibson's message of May 17, 2021 3:39 pm: > > On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:46:51PM +1000, Nicholas Piggin wrote: > >> ISA v3.1 adds new variations of wait, specified by the WC field. These > >> are not compatible with the wait 0 implementation, because they add > >> additional conditions that cause the processor to resume, which can > >> cause software to hang or run very slowly. > >> > >> Add the new wait variants with a trivial no-op implementation, which is > >> allowed, as explained in comments: software must not depend on any > >> particular architected WC condition having caused resumption of > >> execution, therefore a no-op implementation is architecturally correct. > >> > >> Signed-off-by: Nicholas Piggin > > > > Logic looks fine. There is no test on the CPU's features or model > > here, though, so this will change behaviour for pre-3.1 CPUs as well. > > Huh. 2.06-2.07 has very similar WC bits as 3.1, but 3.0 removed them > and made them reserved. I should have looked back but I'd assumed > they weren't there either. > > Existing code treats WC != 0 as invalid on pre-3.0 processors AFAIKS, > so that's not quite right for 2.06-7 (they should look more like 3.1). > > But before that it looks like it was just wait with no WC field. > > > What would invoking these wait variants (presumably reserved) on > > earlier CPUs do? > > Prior to 2.06, it looks like there is no WC field, and so they should > generate a program check. So that just leaves the incorrect program > checks for 2.06-7, something like this should do it: > > -GEN_HANDLER_E(wait, 0x1F, 0x1E, 0x00, 0x039FF801, PPC_NONE, PPC2_ISA300), > +GEN_HANDLER_E(wait, 0x1F, 0x1E, 0x00, 0x039FF801, PPC_NONE, PPC2_ISA206), Ok, can you update with such a change, and put some of this explanation of the history in a comment. > 2.06-3.1 should all be fine with this patch, AFAIKS they all have words > to the effect that WC != 0 is subject to implementation defined > behaviour and may be treated as a no-op or not implemented. Ok. Note that we do try to match specific CPU behaviour, not just the architecture, although the architecture is obviously more important. -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson