On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 08:08:27AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote: > Hello Thierry, > > On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 11:49:37AM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote: > > In the interest of making forward progress, I've applied this series. > > I proposed a different approach that in contrast to usage_power: > > - is well defined > (so driver authors and consumers know what to provide or expect resp.); > - has good name people understand without reading documentation; > - fully covers the problem Clemens want to address; > - fully covers what the only implementing lowlevel driver does; and > - is easy to implement based on the patches in this series > > This is not what I call "forward progress". I take it personal that > after I pointed out technical shortcomings with this patch set and even > suggested a better concept, you didn't even made the effort to argue > but instead simply went on applying the patches. Forward progress doesn't always mean that everybody gets their way. And this is nothing personal, so please don't take it that way. I don't see where you pointed out technical shortcomings with this patch, you merely pointed out that you don't like this solution and that there might be a better way to implement it by expanding on the concepts introduced in this patch series. As I said, this is now no longer impacting ABI, so we can improve on this further down the road if we choose to. However, I didn't see any reason to postpone this any further. This is something that Clemens has been working on for more than half a year and we've changed our minds often enough. In my opinion this proposal is good enough. Thierry