Hi Jonathan > Ok, so that is there because my assumption was that mostly like I'd take > this patch through IIO, in which case it's directly valid and necessary > for backport information purposes. I'm guessing this one is unlikely to > cause merge conflicts given how localized it is... I see. Makes sense. > You would do an immutable branch that I can pull into IIO. I'd really like > to avoid rebasing the IIO tree unless absolutely necessary as people are > working on top if it. Sure, let's avoid rebasing. > Doesn't work. There is a high chance the original patch will get ported > back to earlier kernels and there is no reference to let anyone know they > also need this one to avoid potential build issues on the stable kernel. > > So, if you want to take this through I2C, the path forwards would be. > 1) You take this one through I2C > 2) I apply the original fix (which #ifdefs the relevant code out in the > driver). > 3) Once (1) is in mainline next cycle, I can revert (2) on the basis > it is no longer necessary. > > I'm fine with doing it this way as it avoids any cross dependencies. The other solution is that you make an immutable branch for me? IIUC, this would be easiest? It would work for me. > > > +#if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_I2C) > > > > Hmm, can't we move this into an already existing IS_ENABLED block? > > There aren't any similar #if / #else blocks for CONFIG_I2C in i2c.h > so it seemed neater to just add one around this individual element > and not destroy the general organization of the file. Could be argued. I'd still prefer to add it at line 480 (5.13-rc3) with the #else branch added if you don't mind. Thanks and kind regards, Wolfram