From: Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl>
To: Dave T <davestechshop@gmail.com>
Cc: Btrfs BTRFS <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>,
	Phillip Susi <phill@thesusis.net>
Subject: Re: why is the same mount point repeatedly mounted in nested manner?
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 01:58:23 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 04:41:03PM -0400, Dave T wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 1:49 PM Phillip Susi <phill@thesusis.net> wrote:
> > Dave T <davestechshop@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > I'm using btrbk via a systemd timer. I have a daily and hourly timer
> > > set up. Each timer starts by mounting the btrfs root, performing the
> > > btrbk task, and unmounting the btrfs root.

> Not exactly... that path should not be unmounted. I do not mount that
> location explicitly for the btrbk tasks. It is mounted when the server
> boots up with the bind mount line I showed in fstab:
>
> /var/cache/pacman       /srv/nfs/var/cache/pacman       none  bind  0 0
>
> It should not be unmounted (or remounted) just because the top level
> btrfs volume is (un)mounted for btrbk tasks. That's the part that is
> confusing me.
>
> There is no command associated with my btrbk tasks that mounts
> /srv/nfs/var/cache/pacman (or /var/cache/pacman). There's no other
> entry in fstab for it except the bind mount I showed.

I've seen systemd randomly mount and/or unmount filesystems listed in fstab
when their state somehow differs from what systemd thinks should be (which
can happen either by you or a program doing a mount, or due to systemd
misreading the state reported by the kernel).

So I wonder, can you test with an init/rc other than systemd?

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ If you ponder doing what Jesus did, remember than flipping tables