On Thu, Sep 09, 2021 at 05:11:49AM +0000, John Johnson wrote: > > > > On Sep 7, 2021, at 6:21 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > > > > > > This way the network communication code doesn't need to know how > > messages will by processed by the client or server. There is no need for > > if (isreply) { qemu_cond_signal(&reply->cv); } else { > > proxy->request(proxy->reqarg, buf, &reqfds); }. The callbacks and > > threads aren't hardcoded into the network communication code. > > > > I fear we are talking past each other. The vfio-user protocol > is bi-directional. e.g., the client both sends requests to the server > and receives requests from the server on the same socket. No matter > what threading model we use, the receive algorithm will be: > > > read message header > if it’s a reply > schedule the thread waiting for the reply > else > run a callback to process the request > > > The only way I can see changing this is to establish two > uni-directional sockets: one for requests outbound to the server, > and one for requests inbound from the server. > > This is the reason I chose the iothread model. It can run > independently of any vCPU/main threads waiting for replies and of > the callback thread. I did muddle this idea by having the iothread > become a callback thread by grabbing BQL and running the callback > inline when it receives a request from the server, but if you like a > pure event driven model, I can make incoming requests kick a BH from > the main loop. e.g., > > if it’s a reply > qemu_cond_signal(reply cv) > else > qemu_bh_schedule(proxy bh) > > That would avoid disconnect having to handle the iothread > blocked on BQL. > > > > This goes back to the question earlier about why a dedicated thread is > > necessary here. I suggest writing the network communication code using > > coroutines. That way the code is easier to read (no callbacks or > > thread synchronization), there are fewer thread-safety issues to worry > > about, and users or management tools don't need to know about additional > > threads (e.g. CPU/NUMA affinity). > > > > > I did look at coroutines, but they seemed to work when the sender > is triggering the coroutine on send, not when request packets are arriving > asynchronously to the sends. This can be done with a receiver coroutine. Its job is to be the only thing that reads vfio-user messages from the socket. A receiver coroutine reads messages from the socket and wakes up the waiting coroutine that yielded from vfio_user_send_recv() or vfio_user_pci_process_req(). (Although vfio_user_pci_process_req() could be called directly from the receiver coroutine, it seems safer to have a separate coroutine that processes requests so that the receiver isn't blocked in case vfio_user_pci_process_req() yields while processing a request.) Going back to what you mentioned above, the receiver coroutine does something like this: if it's a reply reply = find_reply(...) qemu_coroutine_enter(reply->co) // instead of signalling reply->cv else QSIMPLEQ_INSERT_TAIL(&pending_reqs, request, next); if (pending_reqs_was_empty) { qemu_coroutine_enter(process_request_co); } The pending_reqs queue holds incoming requests that the process_request_co coroutine processes. Stefan